Sunday, December 30, 2007

Night market in Shilin, Taipei

I visited the busy night market in Shilin, Taipei. I encountered an interesting experience.

The street was very busy. Suddently, a stall holder started to pack up his goods. We asked him for the reason. He said that the police is making a raid on the illegal stalls.

Within two mintures, a convoy of about 20 illegal stalls were moved in an orderly fashion down an alley to be kept away from the scene. When the police arrived, there were no illegal stalls. After the police left, the stalls were back in business, within half an hour.

How were the stalls alerted? They posted someone to lookout for the police. When the police came, a message was passed by mobile phone.

Wow! This is a new way to use technology!

1 comment:

hongjun said...

Hi,

I have a similar experience but that was at Ximending. It happened to me when I was patronizing a stall selling voodoo dolls.

While I was making my selection on a couple of voodoo dolls, all of a sudden, the vendor wrapped up the dolls with a big cloth and carried the bundle away from the table. A second man folded the table and moved to the side with the table. The series of actions were swift and well-coordinated. Customers like myself were stunned. I only knew there were police patrolling the streets only 1 minute later. My instinct told me to leave the scene with the unpaid voodoo doll I was holding onto.

I stood at one corner looking from afar and observed what's to happen next. The 2 men returned and carried on with their business after the police left.

Cheers
hongjun

Blog Archive