Dear Mr. Tan
I would like to thank you for your generousity in time and advice for everyone. Your blog has been an eye-opener for me.
I would like to seek your advice on my family's insurance needs. Finance has been tight for us. We have 3 regular premium ILPs that were bought 7 years ago. We are thinking of stopping the ILPs and buying a Term insurance.
My agent has suggested that we buy a life insurance policy. Do you think that this is a good idea?
For the three ILP policies, can you find out the following:
1. What percentage of the monthly premium is invested from now onwards (i.e. after the policy has passed 7 years).
2. What are the deductions from the monthly premium to cover the policy expenses and mortality charges?
3. What is the annual charge on the investment fund?
4. What is the spread on investing each premium into the fund?
Quite likely, you have passed the period of high upfront charges. If this is the case, it is better to keep the ILP policies as an investment for the future.
I do not recommend a new ILP policy, as it incurs high upfront charges. But, if you have already incurred it in past years, it is better to continue with the policy.
I suggest that you buy a decreasing Term insurance to cover 5 years of your earnings, reducing over a period of 20 years. Do not buy the whole life policy.
You can read the FAQs here:
- ► 2013 (303)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
01/20 - 01/27
- Ask for a clear explanation
- Ask the agent for an explanation
- Invest in ETF
- Safari Park near Puncak
- Riding the highs and the lows
- $1 million or a car?
- Higher Motor Insurance Premiums
- Stay invested for the long term
- Higher cost products
- Living Benefit
- Avoid these financial products
- Whole life premium payable for 10 years
- Personal accident by telemarketing
- Low cost Endowment and Whole Life policies
- Investing through the ETF
- Common Sense Investing - John C Bogle (3)
- A taxi without a driver?
- Common Sense Investing - John C Bogle (2)
- Common Sense Investing - John C Bogle
- Logic Quiz B2
- Joke: Black Gowns
- Behaviour of a Bear Market
- Availability of Low Cost Funds
- Help the Less Fortunate People
- Feeder Services
- Relevant figures for a decision
- Cost Plus for public services
- Revamp of Public Transport System
- Best premium rates
- Personal Savings for Your Retirement
- Personal Accident
- Difference between Flexi Link and Ideal plans
- Critical Illness Cover
- Safari Park near Puncak
- Structured Products invested in subprime CDOs
- Bear Market
- See a financial adviser
- Goal: to achieve $1.2 million in 25 years
- Logic Quiz B1
- Secret of the Amazing Numbers
- Puncak - hill resort near Jakarta
- Lawyer's Joke: Contempt of court
- Books on financial planning
- Continue existing policies
- Investing for the future
- Low risk investment
- Amazing Numbers
- Migrating to Term insurance
- How to get started in investing
- Financial Blogs
- Investing in the Singapore market
- Updating my blog
- ▼ 01/20 - 01/27 (52)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)