Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Inflated Third Party Claims

Dear Mr. Tan,
In April 2002, we received a letter from a lawyer asking my insurance company to pay $4,900 as my husband's car hit a taxi. Later, the sum escalated to $5,400. It was settled by the insurance company. I still could not believe that a small damage could cost so much money. Since then, I greatly feel that Singapore system had not been fair. Now, I read about more inflation claims. Isn't it ridiculous?

REPLY
I agree with you. I suspect that there must be at least 10,000 claims of this nature each year in Singapore. I hope that the public can write to the papers to complained about it Maybe, if there is protests, then the Government will act.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The government may not act if it thinks it is not a priority issue as it concerns only car owners who had accidents. Besides there are too many things that they need to act in Singapore but never (even despite complaints and protests in some) so what is this one problem?
After all as MM Lee had said, we are complacent. Ha Ha.

Anonymous said...

To 1:33PM, let's look for "complacent" symptom in 2006/2007 at Budget Terminal where I have seen Airport Police lean on walls when passenger arrival, can not stand probably, chit-chat on duty etc.

Anonymous said...

It's one of the news in last week's Sunday Times. But will it change anything?

Anonymous said...

I surely agreed that taking extra advantages on some situations is bad. However, what about from the victim's point of view?

The boot of my car was crushed by a van recently. The police and an ambulance came to send me and my passenger to NUH because we had quite a big bump on our heads. We paid all the fees ourselves. Later, I activated my insurer to tow my car from TP Compound back to the workshop. In the workshop, I have to fill in forms and explain the situation, despite my head was throbbing.

I wonder, even if my medical bills, loss of usage (ie insurer gives me a replacement car) can be reimbursed, what about my loss of time spent on doing these admin jobs instead of recovering at home, loss of income since my job is "hands stop, mouth also stop" etc.

Blog Archive