Sunday, December 21, 2008
Barclay CEO apologies
Mr Varley also told the BBC that the banking industry was going through what he called a "public relations crisis" and must apologise for what went wrong. "We have to have a banking industry in which consumers have trust and in some cases that trust has broken down," he said.
"If I ask myself, 'Do I feel the industry should be self-confident about recreating that trust through time?' I do feel that, but it starts by saying sorry. "It starts by admitting things went wrong."
He said he hoped his own bank was one of those in which customers still had trust. But he went on: "If you look at the industry as a whole, if I speak as a member of the industry rather than as chief executive of Barclays, I absolutely have to say we should share our portion of responsibility."
Our correspondent said Mr Varley was not the first senior banker to admit failings. In November, Royal Bank of Scotland chairman Sir Tom McKillop said he was "profoundly sorry" for his company's financial difficulties.
- ► 2013 (303)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
12/21 - 12/28
- Speaker's Corner, 27 Dec 2008 - Speech
- Survey - based on 25 responses
- Seminar for Minibond Investors
- Thought for the day - the world is a dangerous pla...
- The fallen giants of finance
- Attention: Pinnacle Note Investors
- Meeting at Speaker's Corner, Sat 27 Dec, 5 pm
- Survey - Do we need a new property portal
- Details of 150 CDOs still not available after 3 mo...
- Hong Kong Arbitration Body Mediates First Lehman-L...
- Avoid retrenchment
- Be careful about free service for a trial period
- Online Citizen blog
- SMS booking of taxis
- Strong interest in the Property Indicators (AMP, A...
- Why MAS should handle complaints
- Quote - President Elect Obama
- Survey - choosing a place to live, closeness to fa...
- Survey - complaint to FIDREC
- Survey - Complaint to Financial Institution
- 70% willing to join FISCA
- Thought for the Day - Democracy
- FISCA - the steps ahead
- Join FISCA for $36
- Simulation Game - trading of stocks, etc
- Customer feedback on plan V
- FISCA - the proposed approach
- FISCA Survey Results (2)
- Barclay CEO apologies
- The Disadvantages of an Elite Education
- Survey: DBS Schroder LiveSure 2025 fund
- Survey: Vista Plan from Zurich
- An adviser's view about the V plan
- Unilateral changes to DBS Schroder LiveSure 2025 f...
- Madoff Clients - New York Times
- FISCA Survey Results (1)
- ▼ 12/21 - 12/28 (37)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)