Dear Mr Tan
In today's straits times, Dhanabalan said "the financial crisis is not the result of bankers making ill-judged loans to the real economy; it is the result of a bubble in bets on events in the real economy"
I do not know why he used the unusual word "ill-judged loans" but i believe he is talking about the subprime loans existing prior to the crisis of 2009. According to many internet articles I have read, and also a YouTube video explaining the Financial Crisis, the crisis was caused by sub-prime loans which are chopped and repackaged to CDOs etc. to spread the risks to the unwary investors. As a layman, I can understand this.
But Dhanabalan said it was nothing to do with these. He said the Financial Crisis was due to "a bubble in bets on events in the real economy". The Straits Times writer also added that it was a bubble "formed from bets on how events in the economy would pan out". I have absolutely no idea what Dhanabaln or the writer is saying about "bubble in bets on events".
This is how I interpret Mr. Dhanabalan's views. By real economy, he meant lending to companies to manufacture products, distribute goods, employ people. By taking bets, he meant that they were speculating on the asset prices through sub-prime, collateralized debt obligations (CDOs), credit default sways (CDS), and other derivatives.
If the housing prices continue to go up, they all win their bets. When the housing prices fall, the financial system collapse.
- ► 2013 (348)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
01/10 - 01/17
- Tax the big banks
- Buy insurance up to age 60
- Big pay packets in Wall Street
- Life insurance for family protection
- Buying Term Insurance from America
- Financial Inquiry Commission
- Educating our young - views posted in survey
- Unemployment in Singapore
- Speech by Franklin D Roosevelt
- Utopia of welfare corporatism
- Prices of HDB Flats
- Survey - Educating the Young
- Sports Hub to be ready by 2015
- US Congress inquiry into the Financial Crisis
- Authorities act on money lenders
- Rechargeable torchlight for use in hotels
- Magic of the Shape Quiz
- Investment principles for 2010 and beyond
- Adapting to the competitive school environment
- Excesses and redemption
- Educating our young
- Capitalism and socialism
- HDB flats and population growth
- Learning from Europe - social democracy works
- Term insurance - buy directly
- More jobs in health care sector
- Economic recovery depends on government stimulus
- Regular savings in a bank
- HK: Bank staff did not understand mini-bonds
- Walk away from your mortgage
- Benefit illustration - Life or Investment Linked P...
- Students and young people should avoid saving in l...
- Dhanabalan: Bubble in bets on events
- ▼ 01/10 - 01/17 (33)
- ► 2009 (1655)
- ► 2008 (2105)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)