Some people argued for a minimum wage to be implemented in Singapore. REX argued against it, stating that the cost of a maid would increase to $1,500 a month, if a minimum wage is applied here.
I do not think that a minimum wage need to be as high as suggested by REX. It could be set at $1,000. If we consider the wages, government levy, food and lodging provided to a maid, most employers are already paying close to $1,000 a month.
If we pay a higher wage for a maid, we will get a better quality maid, which may be better in the long run. There is also a high cost in replacing a maid. Under the current system, many employers have to replace the maid quite often and suffer this additional cost.
We should not allow the higher cost of employing a maid affect our thinking towards paying a decent wage to other workers in Singapore who need to earn enough to pay for the high cost of living in Singapore.
- ► 2013 (306)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
02/14 - 02/21
- Accountant interested in Pro-Investor
- Good response to rechargeble torchlight
- Talk at Pasir Ris Library - Financial Planning in ...
- Increase in motor insurance premiums
- Shared bicycles at University of Indonesia
- Affordable housing - 3 years of average income
- Products at Internet Shop
- Get compensation from distributor
- Biggest speculation of a lifetime
- Insurance brokerage and conflict of interest
- TKL Intelligence Quiz Vol 3
- Social insurance
- Giving up an existing investment-linked policy
- Switching to a new policy with special benefits
- Home: our planet Earth
- SCMP: Government may compete for insurance. Govern...
- Difficult to cross Singapore roads
- Toxic products and traffic control
- Switching between guaranteed and investment linked...
- Watching EPL in 2010
- Resort World Sentosa
- Gift for mothers of new born babies
- Financial Planning book available at bookstores
- Draft letter to MAS on Mini-bond settlement
- Draft letter to Trustee of Minibond
- Fee to swap counter party on Mini bond
- Needs and Wants
- Logic9 (pocket size Sudoku)
- Switching to a limited payment whole life policy
- All in the Family
- Economic strategies committee - real change or jus...
- Cut working week to 21 hours
- Alex Tan's talk at Speaker's Corner
- Slow start for Integrated Resort in Sentosa
- Minimum wage and cost of living
- Speaker's Corner - Singaporeans vs Foreigners
- Minimum wage and cost of a maid
- Welfare in Singapore
- A nice name for big gambling
- ▼ 02/14 - 02/21 (40)
- ► 2009 (1655)
- ► 2008 (2105)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)