Dear Mr. Tan,
The deficit at Federal and state levels in USA seems to be the next big thing i.e. bigger than Greek crisis. California is already facing the problem of not enough money to pay their civil servants. Some other states are facing the same problem. There are articles written about it and it seems very serious.
Are you able to share your opnion in your blog as well as letting us understand what is the impact to Singapore since we are very dependent on USA for our survival. Also what can we do to protect ourselves in the event the above happens e.g. buy gold and keep since US$ is going to crush.
The USA is facing a large deficit as they are not collecting enough taxes to pay for their government expenditures (at Federal and State levels). Right now, they are issuing bonds to fund the deficit and pay a low rate of interest.
They have to raises taxes to balance the budget, but the politicians are reluctant to do so. They have to cut expenses, but that is also unpopular. At some point of time, they have to print money to fund the deficits. This will lead to higher rates of inflation. Many other countries face the same situation and may have to adopt the same solutions.
We have to prepare for high inflation in the future. In this environment, it will be bad to be invested in bonds that give a fixed rate of return. We have to invest in equities and properties that have a variable return that will increase with inflation. On the other hand, high inflation will burst the asset bubbles in equities and bonds. Maybe the safe asset classes will be gold and cash.
This situation may take many years before the correction occurs. In the meantime, many people continue to ignore the problem. Can I have your views on this matter also?
- ► 2013 (306)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
02/21 - 02/28
- 30th anniversary of Singapore Democratic Party
- Dangers of Personal Investing
- USA has become a social democracy
- A wasteful society
- Replace GST with a payroll tax
- A job for every person
- Moderation in my blog
- Simplify taxation
- Relief from income tax
- Survey: The Stingy Nanny
- Guide to Pro Investor
- Promotion (15% discount) will end on 28 Feb 2010
- Temasek 15 year bond
- Decreasing Term Insurance
- Transparency in life insurance
- Shape Quiz Minipak
- Renting and owning a property
- Mental training with Intellivence Quiz
- Class action in America - suggestion by Teo Guan H...
- Popular items from i-Shop
- Mobile Application
- IMF experts rethink long term ideas
- Distribution cost
- Survey: The Stingy Nanny
- Effect of Deduction
- Shared bicycles
- Prepare for high inflation
- Seminar on class action in USA - April 14, Fullert...
- RED Map
- Better regulation to ensure a fair market
- The Stingy Nanny
- Home prices and average salaries
- Intelligence Quiz Vol 3
- Talks on Financial Planning at Company Premises
- Talks on Financial Planning
- ▼ 02/21 - 02/28 (35)
- ► 2009 (1655)
- ► 2008 (2105)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)