Monday, September 27, 2010

Bus to Speaker's Corner

I had to give a talk on financial planning at SMU and then proceed immediately to Speaker's Corner to give my talk on "Minimum Wage". I did not want to drive there, due to difficulty in finding a parking space. I hesitated to take a taxi, as they might not be available during certain hours of the day. (Yes, our taxi service is not reliable).

I finally decided to take a bus, but was not sure which bus to take. I searched Google Map on my smartphone and learned that Service 33 is available for this stretch. While waiting for this bus, another bus came along. I asked the driver, who told me that the bus will pass Hong Lim Park. It was quite easy to take the bus
.
I am quite sad that the public transport system in Singapore is quite complicated and unreliable. I wish that the Land Transport Authority will take the lead to make it easier for people to move around.

5 comments:

Bongo said...

You could have taken the MRT. Speaker's Corner is located just beside Clarke Quay Station (NE Line).

Tan Kin Lian said...

yeokh
Quite a long distance to walk to City Hall MRT station and quite difficult to change the train in Dhoby Ghaut - also a long walk. The bus is direct and easier, if you know what bus to take!

Bongo said...

From SMU, it's a short walk to Bras Basah (Circle Line) station -- no more than 5 minutes.

Alight at Dhoby Ghaut, then it's a 3-minute walk to the platform to the NE line. From there, a short ride to Clarke Quay.

I like to move around this way. The short walks are a good form of exercise.

Vincent Sear said...

I'm surprised at the suggestions for this MRT line or that MRT line. By the time one walks here and there, climb up and down MRT stations, another could have walked from SMU to Hong Lim. It's only three bus-stops' distance and almost all buses on Victoria Street ply this route, so there's practically no waiting time too.

Tan Kin Lian said...

It is convenient to take the bus from SMU to Hong Lim Park. The only problem is that many people do not know what bus to take. I have a smart phone that allows me to check, but those who do not have some trouble to find the bus.

Many people take the MRT because the routes are clear. So, we need a way to have the bus routes easily identified by the public.

I have advocated the introduction of simple feeder services to travel only within a town. It will be easy for the public to remember these feeder services.

Blog Archive