Sunday, June 12, 2011

Do we need an Elected President?

There is a long thread in my Facebook account on this questions. I have joined in the conversation with this reply:

Many people think that we do not need to pay $4.2 million for a President to do the job. I agree. In my statement, I have stated that I would donate a large part of the salary towards charity, if I am elected. Read my various statements here: Some people think that we do not need to have an Elected President and can go back to the old type of ceremonial president. I also agree. But since we already have this type of constitution and a president has to be elected, I have decided to stand and offer a choice to the people of Singapore.


michael13 said...

In fact, we do not really need an Elected President. After the poor showing of popular shared votes of only 64.8%(overall votes shares plunged by 12.9% as compared to 77.7% in 1980) of PAP in GE 1984. The ruling PAP started tinkering with our healthy democratic system(all SMCs and No GRCs, less likely walkover scenario) by arguing a freak election's result will do a great harm to Singapore without PAP's government being around.

Please find the following information for our own analysis, understanding and conclusion.

Overall votes shares of the PAP:

1963 - 46.6%
1968 - 84.4%
1972 - 69.2%
1976 - 72.4%
1980 - 77.7%
1984 - 64.8%
1988 - 63.2%
1991 - 61.0%
1997 - 65.0%
2001 - 75.0%
2006 - 66.6%
2011 - 60.1%

With the above-mentioned fluctuating GE results, here comes along the famous 'Policy of U-turn' as described by Mr. Low Thia Khiang. From time to time, consciously or unconsciously, we boasted to the world that ours' is a 'betterest' system that ensures 'political stability'. Regrettably, that kind of invented 'EP' system (also known as a 'second key' man of S$4.2 million) makes many of us to that miserable extent- "catch no ball".

Today, we are wondering whether we really need that 'Elected President'? Sad to recall all these!

michael13 said...

On a more positive note. Personally, I find that any good democratic system needs to have two important characteristics:

1. Empowering the people.
2. Uniting the nation.

In Germany, the government is very responsive to people's aspirations and their needs. And the people are respectful to their elected leaders and willing to cooperate. The relationship is more on equal partner basis. Unlike ours which is talking about 'Masters and Servants'(far from truth). I think the German sound education system contributes a great deal towards this very desirable happy outcome.

Anyone cares to share?

Tan Kin Lian said...

Dear michael13
I have high regard for the German education system (which I wrote about earlier in my blog) and also the values and practical approach of Germany - including their democratic structure (although I confess that I do not know this matter in depth). I also like their social security and health care system - which are based on the right balance between pro-business and pro-people.

Blog Archive