Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Paranoia over security arrangements

 Singapore businesses are too paranoid about security. They overdo their security protocols. They create unnecessary steps. They make life difficult for their customers and the public.


The overloaded protocols also caused the platforms to behave erratically and to crash regularly. This has happened to our banks, commercial organizations and the government websites.

I have encountered problems with online transactions frequently.

In spite of these measures, the online scams are rampant in Singapore. My friend, who followed the statistics, said that Singapore has the highest rate of online scams among the countries in the world.

I think my friend probably exaggerate in making this statement. We may not have the highest, but I think the frequency is quite high.

Recently, I encountered difficulty in accessing my bank account as their 2FA protocol does not work. I fell back to input a manual PIN, that is generated from their app. They asked me to get a 8 digit "challenge" by SMS, and enter it into the app to get a 8 digit response. I had to do this entry a few times, because it is difficult to remember a 8 digit number, and I have to flip from one screen to another to complete the process.

I also encountered a problem with my stockbroker. I submitted an order and was told that it was rejected due to "exceed limit". I checked. It was within limit. Their system was haywire. I was asked to wait for it to be corrected.

Even making an online purchase is difficult. When I logged into the Lazada website, they expected me to enter the user code and password (which are necessary), but also to get a PIN sent by SMS for a second level authentication. This was unnecessary and troublesome. Worse, the SMS did not arrive immediately. I had to check a few times.

I make purchases with Lazada Malaysia. They did not require a SMS PIN authentication. Nobody hacked into my account to make purchases. It is quite safe.

I suspect that the use of 2FA authentication, even for online purchases, is mandated by the government. The people who make these rules do not appear to have a practical mind.

If we continue to impose unnecessary and complicated requirements, we will make it difficult for businesses to transform their processes to adopt digital processes. They will face a lot of problem and give up.

We need a more practical approach towards these problems.

Tan Kin Lian 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Red Flag. Resigning from MAS for president. Only now do we know that financial losses are everywhere in the country?

Anonymous said...

Since LHL announced his stepping down, more and more true colours have come out with their mediocre work. Doom is slowly on the way.

Anonymous said...

A Large Group Of Foreign People Living Here Regurgitating The Two Same Sentiments Above.

Anonymous said...

I have hurt and broken the hearts of 3 good relationships. I had cold feet when the relationship became serious, and it affected my daily life. I was diagnosed with gamephobia which is a fear of commitment.
Generally, I am a good person who would never cheat, stab someone in the back, steal, be compassionate, give way to others who I thought deserved better, give all in my job and would never sabo anybody.
The reason someone like me can never be a public figure was the chance of being exposed as a serial dumpee.

Blog Archive