Friday, April 06, 2007

Choosing my career

Dear Mr Tan,

When you were a teen still in school or university how did you decide this is something that you wanted to do? Ever regretted or
felt you wanted to do something else?

------------------------

My reply:

When I was in school, I wanted to be an engineer. Most of the top students in Raffles Institution wanted to be doctors, but I wanted to be different. I was good in mathmathics, which was a good application for engineering.

Later, I learned about the actuarial profession. I required a high level of competency in mathemathics. I thought that it was suitable for me. I decided to leave school (after secondary 4) and work in an insurance company to pursue this profession.

My school principal was surprised. He tried to encourage me to continue my studies and even offered to get a scholarship for me.

Later, he gave an introduction for me to meet the general manager of a large, local insurance company. I joined this company as a clerk.

I never looked back. I never have any regret on my past actions. I take life as it comes. I never consider myself to be so important to feel any self pity.

No comments:

Blog Archive