A motorist wrote to complain in the newspaper. His insurer was not willing to contest a claim submitted by a third party through a lawyer. As his insurer has paid the claim, he will lose his no-claim discount. He was not at fault in the accident.
Due to the lax attitude towards setting third party claims, he expects that the insurers will have to be making losses and will increase their premium rates soon.
To solve this problem, we have to tackle the root cause. Here are the key points:
* it is difficult for the insurer to contest a third party claim
* it is one motorist's word against another motorist
* it is costly to investigate the cause of the accident
The solution is to require all motorists to make an immediate report and have the vehicle inspected at an Idac center. If this is not made compulsory, there will always be disputes of this kind.
A few years ago, the insurance companies agreed to implement this requirement. Some insurers dropped out later, for competitive reasons. Others followed.
We need discipline from all parties, for the root cause of the problem to be corrected.
- ► 2013 (348)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
- ► 2008 (2105)
04/29 - 05/06
- Investment linked plan under NTUC Income
- Are my policies worth to keep?
- No need for Medishield insurance
- Spend less on insurance; invest the rest
- Life Insurance for College Students
- Talk to LTA
- Different methods of calculating interest
- Employment for seniors
- I strongly agree
- Discrimination in the workplace
- Save for a child's education
- Liability insurance
- Moral Hazard and Adverse Selection
- Payment to accident victims
- Insure my co-payment
- Call me on my mobile
- Save $600 a month?
- Structured Investment Products
- Car Navigation System
- Sad aspect of market liberalisation
- Small workshops like the tender system
- An alternative to Downtown Lines
- Better to have a standard taxi fare
- Whole life policies from NTUC Income gives better ...
- Two views of the stock market
- Poor return on whole life policies
- Term to 99 years
- What has Science got to offer?
- Difference between wishful and positive thinking
- Power of marketing
- Motor claim by third party
- Water for Life
- Surrender value of Living policy
- Financial Tips for the Young and for Seniors
- Avoid lock-in investment products
- Restructuring of public transport
- Senior Employment Guidance
- My personal asset allocation
- Refinance your housing loan
- Capital guaranteed products give a poor return
- Some structured products are good?
- Discount on motor insurance
- Singapore Dance Theatre - Impressions
- A salute to the earlier generations!
- Making the incredible credible
- Renting your car
- How to control spam mail
- Feeder service in Hong Kong
- Role of an agent
- Pyramid scheme
- Asset allocation in a nutshell
- Ranking of Products
- Investment Tips, April 2007
- Term insurance up to age 65
- More moderate return in the future
- Shall I continue Eldershield?
- Capital guaranteed product
- Increase the investment in a life annuity
- Simplify the feedback form
- Encashing my life insurance policies
- Yield of 3.41%
- Term Insurance
- Senior Housing
- Natural disasters
- Pay a fixed fee to a broker
- What is a broker?
- Insurance course at a local university
- Invest in large, well diversified fund
- ▼ 04/29 - 05/06 (69)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)