I saw your blog on structured deposit. I had observed our local banks' structured deposits are out there to make a lot of money, in particular one bank which I really dislike.
I have help my parents to invest wrongly in one of the structured products with formula involving CMS (interest rate swap).
However, I had satisfactory experience with foreign banks. Their rates are competitive and the structured products are better. I had one with a formula with CMS, but almost 3 yrs till today, I still get 6 percent coupon payment, but suffered forex loss (mainly I did not hedge the investment).
I obtained almost 10 percent on my investment with a foreign bank. Luckily, I sold off recently before it plunged a few percent (due to credit rating).
I am thinking if you are writing a investment related book ? I had a good working experience with my friends in United States and we had published a book under John Wiley. I wish to thank you for working on your blog. I like to read your articles very much.
If you invest in a foreign currency product, you can get a higher return (as interest rates on foreign currency deposits are higher than Singapore dollar deposits). You stand the risk of foreign currency loss.
If you hedge this risk, the return will be reduced to almost the same as a Singapore dollar deposit After deducting the charges on the structured product, you will be worse off.
You can only get a higher return by making the right timing on the foreign exchange, but this is uncertain.
- ► 2020 (783)
- ► 2019 (1839)
- ► 2018 (1406)
- ► 2017 (1258)
- ► 2016 (828)
- ► 2015 (691)
- ► 2014 (144)
- ► 2013 (501)
- ► 2012 (1269)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1654)
- ► 2008 (2104)
05/20 - 05/27
- Enhanced Income Fund
- $1,000 is sufficient for a retiree
- No overlap in coverage
- Appeal from a motor cyclist
- Fixed deposit with a finance company
- Bond and money market fund
- My friend likes your blog
- Structured products that have matured
- Swing Fund
- Switch to Balanced Fund
- Air fare to Kuala Lumpur
- Protect unit trust investors
- Life annuity gives financial security
- Pay My Uni
- Success of Indexed Funds
- Money Market Fund
- Insurance claim on World Trade Center, New York
- Singapore Transport Guide
- High charges can take away 70% of the total return
- Difficult to beat the market average
- Distribution by a mutual fund
- Tips on Investments
- Indexed funds for small investors
- Using SingPass
- Invest in the money market
- Insurance planning for the family
- Adequate insurance
- How To Get A Good Research Job
- FAQ: Save for your child's education
- Structured deposit in foreign currency
- Do what is best for the customers
- Increase value for all stakeholders
- ETFs sold by Vanguard Mutual Group
- Leaving the assets to the family
- Recognised by my voice
- Why is CPF inadequate?
- Singaporeans have to work 10 years longer
- Have enough money to retire gracefully
- High expense ratio of structured products
- Consumer Protection - Financial Products
- Critical illness coverage - expensive
- Make it easy to move to a new home
- Skype - Online
- Appointment for a telephone call
- Personal Email account
- Jobs for Seniors - Seah Leong Khai
- How to overcome myths
- Personal accident insurance
- Investment linked products in India
- ▼ 05/20 - 05/27 (50)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)