The strengths of the Singapore system are:
* low corruption
* economic development
* stable and good government.
These are also our weaknesses. Here are the negative aspects of these characteristics:
1. Low corruption. Many people are afraid to make decisions. They do not want to be accused of being corrupt. They like to define their area of responsibility clearly and to have clear guidlines. If they are not sure, they like to point to another person to decide. Or, they will give the "no" answer.
2. Meritocracy. To do well, we have to be better than the other person. We have to be top of the class. We look after our self interest and behave selfishly. We are not able to work well with other people in a team.
3. Economic development. There is too much emphasis on economic development, to the detriment of other important aspects of our life - i.e. social, art, culture, leisure.
4. Efficiency. We push efficiency to the extreme, with the aim of making more profits. Often, this is done at the expense of customer service. We compete too hard, and work on inadequate margins. Sometimes, we may adopt shady practices to make more profit.
5. Stable and good government. We leave too much matters to be decided by the government. We are not able to experiment with new ideas on our own.
The areas that make us strong, also contribute to our weakness. Some of the weaknesses of the "Singapore character" can be traced to these factors. This is just my view.
- ► 2013 (314)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
- ► 2008 (2105)
07/15 - 07/22
- Invest in a low cost fund
- Renewal of motor insurance
- A cooperative has to answer to its members
- Underlying assets of structured products
- Consumer Protection on Mortgages - USA Experience
- Negative aspects of Singapore system
- The Day When Singapore Panicked
- Credit card for students?
- Singapore Dollar and the Carry Trade
- Sub-prime mortgages in America
- Good financial products
- Structured products in America
- Customer-friendly Call Center
- Give your full name
- Logic9 (Sudoku)
- An efficient public service
- Well rated Bonds
- Risk of credit default
- Cash back on a Term Policy
- What's bad about the Singapore system?
- Confusing Message
- Owned by the people
- CPF or life annuity
- Did you invest in these structured products?
- Risks of investing in Structured Products
- Credit Default Swaps
- Pinnacle Notes - 2 views
- Pinnacle Notes - do you know the risks?
- Good experience with structured products
- Return from various types of investments
- A customer focused organisation
- CASE Website
- Use of ATM in other countries
- Surgical Schedule
- A simple medical insurance product
- What product is suitable for my age group?
- How can CPF be improved to give a better return?
- What's good about Singapore
- National Day - Sudoku (Logic9)
- ▼ 07/15 - 07/22 (40)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)