Sunday, July 15, 2007

What's good about Singapore

Here are my views about what is good with the Singapore system:

* low corruption
* meritocracy
* economic development
* efficiency
* stable and good government.

Let me elaborate on these points.

Low corruption: Easy to get things done. Criteria and procedures are clear. If we follow the rules, we know that our requests will be approved. We do not have to worry about making "additional payments".

Meritocracy: Everyone can move up the career ladder. The best rewards go to the most able.

Economic development: Our economy has developed well. Many good paying jobs are produced. Asset and property prices have gone up.

Efficiency: Things work. We can rely on efficient transport, utilities and services. We save on time to do many things.

Stable and good government: We have a safe envifonment. We do not have to worry about strikes, crime, financial crisis and other uncertainties.

Now, what's bad about Singapore? I shall discuss them in a few days time.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

One more: Able to react and adapt to new situations quickly.

Everything can be micro-managed. There is no resistance to policies set by the main party, and the population is generally obedient.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mr Tan

When are you posting the negative points? I am waiting eagerly to see the other side.

Are you getting cold feet?

James

Anonymous said...

James,

I worked with TKL for many years and I don't think he will post any negative points. He can try.

And I do not think there is anything wrong if he does not post negative points. This is his blog and he has a choice to say what he want, and for his own interest.

As an overseas Singaporean, I can see many negative points about Singapore. I just let it be ... If Singaporeans choose to remain ignorance of the shortcomings of their country, they simply become stuck up, look down on others, whine about the lack of Singapore standards abroad, allow others to create new jokes about silly Singaporeans and at the same time, get happily conned overseas, esp as tourists.

Since I am on the topic and to make Singaporeans feel even better for themselves that they are not alone ...

The Japs are another favourite hit ... AUD$80 for a Class A mango.
Cheap Cheap.

(This is coming from personal experience.)

Anonymous said...

Hi Mr Tan

Having read both sides of the points you have written, I have come up with a short poem about Singapore

Short of class in every aspect
Individualism over cooperation
Nothing to fear, for the Govt is here :)
Great Governance renders pple's opinions useless :(
All are expendable, even if you are a pet
Profit minds set up mines on social values
Operate at a low cost at the expense of locals :(
Rigidity and Comformity rules!
Everyone counts...because everyone has an economic value! (really)


I don't know if I will be branded as a brat, but if people can't accept my opinion, it goes to show that conformity has taken root and poisoned the mind

Jusjustjustin said...

I think Singapore is one of the best countries in the world. I dont see anything wrong with Singapore. There are only some "small problems" which i myself have not noticed. Thus one should appreciate living in Singapore and not badmouth Singapore here.

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone,
I am making a project on Singapore, and I need some good and bad things about its government.
Would the info above help me?
Or is it just stating what is good about Singapore as a whole?

If anyone can help me, please let me know as soon as possible!!
Thanks!

Malaysian Girl said...

Yeah. I like Singapore too! but Hey I am doing an assignment here and actually this would really help, just that it lacks facts. Its just a mere opinion/ own judgement.

I'll try to explore more on it for facts-thanks

Blog Archive