Thursday, September 06, 2007

Keep your living policy

Dear Mr Tan

I really enjoy reading your blog. You have certainly opened up my mind especially with respect to insurance.

I have a NTUC Living policy for a sum assured of $35K. I have been paying it for 13 yrs now. The bonus is about $14K. The surrender value is $9K now.

Does it means that if I die now or come down with critical illness, I will only get the sum assured + bonues (ie $35K + $14K = $49K). I'm paying a total annual premium of $723.

On the other hand, if I buy a $50K term now, I only pay about $120 per yr. So for the same payout, I will be paying much less ($120 vs $723). It just seems too good to be true to terminate my current living policy, pay less premium and yet get the same coverage.

Thank you for your time Mr Tan, it really brings a new perspective on financial planning.

REPLY:

This is correct. You are covered for $49,000 in the event of a claim.

I suggest that you keep your living policy and take the term insurance as well, if you can afford both premuim. The living policy covers 30 dread disease and have a cash value at any time that you terminate it. The cash value increases each year.

The term policy is cheaper, but it does not have any cash value. It covers you for a specific term, i.e. 10 or 20 years. After the term, the cover ceases.

2 comments:

platorulez said...

Actually I also thought of employing a Term Insurance Only approach for my insurance, but I was advised against it because I was told that insurance companies will not insure you using Term insurance past a certain age, so once the final term ends, you are left with no insurance cover. Is this true?

Anonymous said...

You have often advised people to keep their existing policies. But what if the company provides very poor service and it becomes hazardous to health to be insured by them because they keep ignoring you and doing things that show that they are not interested in your patronage? I am now caught between the devil and the deep blue sea because I lose out if I just cancel the policies but if I continue, I think I may vomit blood due to the stupid things that the present NTUC Income is doing.

Blog Archive