Hi Mr. Tan,
I like to seek your advice on the commission payable to the property agent for extending a lease.
Two years ago, I leased out my apartment through an agent. The agent charged me 1 month of rental, which was a lot of money.
I am now negotiating with my tenant to extend the lease. I was shocked to find that the property agent had included in the lease agreement (without my knowledge) a clause that requires me to pay commission for extending the lease.
I have never agreed to this condition. Am I required to pay this commission? In my case, the agent provided bad service to me and the tenant during the past two years. Why should I continue to pay commission again?
I hope that you can advise me.
I understand that the standard tenancy agreement does not have this clause. It seems that some property agent inserted the clause to give them additional income, but it is unfair to the owner.
I suggest that you negotiate a new agreement with the tenant. You can agree with the tenant on whether any commission is to be paid to the agent, and which party is required to pay the commission. Quite likely, the tenant will prefer to deal directly with you, and avoid this additional cost.
As you do not have any agreement with the agent on this matter, you are not bound by the terms of the old tenancy agreement, as it has been superceded.
I hope that you find this to be helpful. As this is a legal matter, you may wish to get the opinion of a lawyer as well.
- ► 2013 (302)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
- ► 2008 (2105)
12/23 - 12/30
- Snow Mountain Tunnel
- Taroko Gorge, Hualien, Taiwan
- Adequate Taxis in Taipei
- Technique to solve Logic Quiz
- Cost and benefit of health insurance
- Existing life insurance policies
- Difficult to get a taxi in Singapore
- My first trip on Taipei MRT
- Strategies to make profit
- Avoid high charges
- Feeder Bus Service
- Taipei Rapid Transit System
- Taxi Fares for 5 km trip
- Shops in Hualien
- Taxi Fares in London
- Taxi Fares in Sydney
- Taxi Fares in New York
- Easy to get a taxi from Taipei Main Station
- Train from Taipeh to Hualien
- Taxi fares in Singapore
- Taxi fares in Hong Kong
- Taxi fares in Taipei
- CPF Dependent Protection Scheme
- Walkway connecting buildings
- Property Agent's Commission on Extending a Lease
- Feeder Bus
- A good time to invest in equities
- MRT in Taipei
- Helpful cashier
- Beware of bad products
- Taipei 101
- Set limit on commission
- Sufficient funds for retirement
- Christmas is not a public holiday
- Politeness in Taipei
- Save for child's education
- High speed train in Taiwan
- Excellent signage at Vivocity
- Avoid traffic congestion
- Like a swan
- Holiday in Taiwan
- Last minute ticket sales for Swan Lake
- Term Insurance Rates
- Lower price for your motor insurance
- Charges of an Investment Linked Policy (ILP)
- Improve the taxi situation
- ▼ 12/23 - 12/30 (46)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)