Dear Mr Tan:
I am a faithful reader of your blog and enjoy the advices which you gave to the public. I wish to ask about the calculation of yield. I use the following formula:
$150 a month month for 21 years, total=$ 37800
Cash value = $ 61000
Yield for 21 years = (61000-37800) /37800 *100% = 61.4%
Yield per year =61.4/21= 2.9%
Is my calculation correct ?
The yield is calculated using a compound interest formula.
I use a financial calculator and input the following figures:
Annual savings: $1,800 (in advance)
Duration 21 years
Value on maturity: $61,000
The calculator gives me a yield of 4.5%.
If you take a regular saving of $1,800 a year and add interest at 4.5% on the increasing balance yearly, you will arrive at $61.000 at the end of 21 years.
Tip: Buy a financial calculator for $50.
- ► 2013 (304)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
02/17 - 02/24
- Motor Car Insurance
- Educating the public
- Early repayment of housing loan
- Tax Benefits in Life Insurance Products
- Refund of premium
- Keep your money in CPF Special Account
- Financial contagion
- Keep your existing policy
- Term insurance covers critical illness
- Singapore in the year 2010
- Savings for your child
- Commission on high cost policies
- Insurance agents need to make a living
- Critical illness
- Insuring a child for critical illness
- Selecting a policy to terminate
- Critical illness coverage for a baby
- Need a bank loan for a retail business
- Achiever Policy
- Dear Mr. Tan, I find your blog very interesting. I...
- Mr. Tan, I was about to sign up a long term saving...
- Wrong address won 4D first prize
- Jetstar to Kuala Lumpur
- High cost Investment Linked Policy
- Travelling to Kuala Lumpur and Bahrain
- Near target of 1,000 visitors
- Timing the market
- Expense ratio of investment funds
- Investing in REITS
- Calculating the yield
- ETF and Unit Trust
- Decline in interest rate
- Regular replacement of policy
- Financial crisis every 10 years?
- Marketing to residents living nearby
- Greed makes monkey of men
- Financial product with a guaranteed return
- ▼ 02/17 - 02/24 (39)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)