I met my Singapore friend who now works in Dubai. He wanted to create a new product and get the approval of the Dubai International Financial Center (DIFC) to market the product to retail investors.
The DIFC asked many questions. They are hesitant about allowing the product to be sold to the retail investors, as the investors may not understand the risk. My friend decided to withdraw the application.
I believe that the DIFC approach is correct. It is difficult for retail investors to understand complex products that are designed by "financial enginners" with the aim to make profit for the financial institutions. The retail investors are likely to be "taken for a ride" by these "financial engineers".
This is a different approach from that taken by the Monetary Authority of Singapore.
- ► 2013 (307)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
09/21 - 09/28
- Prospectus for the Credit Linked Securities
- Regulation by the Dubai International Financial Ce...
- A view: Investors should bear bigger responsibilit...
- Avoid incurring a large debt
- Difficulty in Travel Insurance Claim
- Mis-representation in High Notes 2
- Fair Compensation
- Support for Petition
- Update (1) to investors of credit linked securitie...
- Sample letter of complaint
- Channel News Asia - Interview of investor
- Investing in stocks - online platform
- Credit Linked Securities - Q&A
- Overwhelmed by e-mails and questions
- Approach taken by Hong Kong Monetary Authority
- Lodge your complaint with your financial instituti...
- MAS statement on Protecting Policyholders
- Beware of ELN (Equity Link Notes)
- Experience in lodging a complaint with the bank
- Unable to pay premium till 70 - Revosave
- Business Ethics
- Preparing your statement or affidavit
- MAS statement on Structured Products
- Tell your Member of Parliament
- Special program on CNBC about Credit Linked Securi...
- Group Meeting of MiniBond Investors
- Lodge a complaint with the financial institution
- Investors of Credit Linked Securities - particular...
- Investors of Credit Linked Securities
- Hong Kong Monetary Authority
- Maintaining the cooperative spirit?
- Affidavit for investors of Credit Linked Securitie...
- Dubai, 24-27 Sep 2008
- Blog for Minibond investors
- Pinnacle Notes
- Proof of misleading advice
- Customer service on Motor Insurance
- OCBC Preference Shares
- Financial Adviser Act, Section 27
- Sad experience of a Minibond investor
- TV program on credit linked securities
- Investor in Minibond can seek redress
- Lack of transparency in terminal bonus
- A expert view about Structured Products
- Loss of hard earned money
- A flawed global financial system
- Book on Financial Planning
- ▼ 09/21 - 09/28 (47)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)