Nov 10, 2008
Suit against Lehman, UBS seeks an order certifying it as a class-action.
LEHMAN Brothers Holdings Inc's Chief Executive Officer Richard Fuld and UBS AG's US brokerage were accused in a lawsuit of misleading investors who bought Lehman's 'principal protected notes' before its September bankruptcy.
The complaint, filed on Nov 6 in federal court in Manhattan, claims Mr Fuld and 10 other past and current Lehman directors deceived investors about the risks of buying notes that are now almost worthless, Bloomberg news reported on Monday.
The suit seeks unspecified damages and an order certifying it as a class-action, or group lawsuit, on behalf of other investors.
Sales documents for the securities 'contained untrue statements of material fact and omitted other material facts', according to the complaint filed by Girard Gibbs LLP in San Francisco.
Lehman didn't disclose that repayment of the debt might be threatened by 'exposure to losses from its real estate and mortgage portfolio', and UBS Financial Services should have 'diligently' investigated the disclosures before helping sell the notes, the complaint said.
Mr George Sard, a spokesman for Mr Fuld, didn't respond to a message seeking comment.
- ► 2020 (260)
- ► 2019 (1839)
- ► 2018 (1406)
- ► 2017 (1258)
- ► 2016 (828)
- ► 2015 (691)
- ► 2014 (144)
- ► 2013 (501)
- ► 2012 (1269)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1654)
11/09 - 11/16
- New swap counter party to replace Lehman Brothers
- God help the righteous
- High risk is not disclosed in Prospectus
- High risk of credit linked notes, inadequate retur...
- Retrenchment Loan
- Complexity of Credit Linked Notes
- Be careful if you wish to redeem your credit linke...
- Banker fill up complaint form, but did not disclos...
- Structured products linked to Lehman Brothers
- Why You Need to be at Hong Lim Park Tomorrow (15 N...
- Retrenchment and its impact on Singaporeans
- SCMP:Divine intervention in Legco debate
- Adequate saving for retirement
- Financial Advice for Young People
- Reuters: Financial crisis politically awakens Sing...
- Hear the voices of High Note 2 investors
- Open letter to chairman of DBS Bank
- Unexpected surge - 700,000 visitors to my blog
- Trustees act to terminate the swaps
- SCMP:Approval ratings of finance chiefs drop
- Rebuttal to "invest with your eyes open"
- SCMP:Legco probe best hope for minibond mess
- Morgan Stanley hotline for Pinnacle notes
- Accountabiliy, transparency and social justice
- Reply from MAS on the 3 petitions
- Letter to Prime Minister on Credit Linked Notes
- Speaker's Corner - 15 November 2008
- Sunday Times article on Petitions
- Call to the Government to be fair to the affected ...
- Business Times: Look at pricing structure, risk di...
- SCMP:Time to reconsider class action lawsuits
- SCMP:Two investors reach settlement with bank befo...
- SCMP:Legco likely to pass bill on minibond investi...
- New Paper: Structured Products: "What banks don't ...
- CBS Videos on derivatives, etc
- Obama's Speech at Election Night
- Did the RM explain "first to default" ?
- Sued for misleading investors
- Joseph Stiglitz
- Quality of financial advice and fact find
- Leadership styles
- Investigate the creators of the structured product...
- Decisions of FiDREC
- Investors should be aware about the risk: MM
- HK: Probe into minibonds bankers wins support
- Credit default of Pinnacle Notes Series 9
- Loss in the Singapore reserves
- Obama's Day
- Is this fair?
- SCMP:Bank admits substandard tactics
- SCMP:Minibonds meeting ends in recriminations
- Exchange currency in a bank - an analogy
- Rejection letter by DBS
- ▼ 11/09 - 11/16 (53)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)