Extract from the letter by Lasantha Wikramatunga, assassinated editor of a newspaper in Sri Lanka.
People often ask me why I take such risks and tell me it is a matter of time before I am bumped off. Of course I know that: it is inevitable. But if we do not speak out now, there will be no one left to speak for those who cannot, whether they be ethnic minorities, the disadvantaged or the persecuted. An example that has inspired me throughout my career in journalism has been that of the German theologian, Martin Niemoller. In his youth he was an anti-Semite and an admirer of Hitler. As Nazism took hold in Germany, however, he saw Nazism for what it was: it was not just the Jews Hitler sought to extirpate, it was just about anyone with an alternate point of view. Niemoller spoke out, and for his trouble was incarcerated in the Sachsenhausen and Dachau concentration camps from 1937 to 1945, and very nearly executed. While incarcerated, Niemoller wrote a poem that, from the first time I read it in my teenage years, stuck hauntingly in my mind:
First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.
If you remember nothing else, remember this: The Leader is there for you, be you Sinhalese, Tamil, Muslim, low-caste, homosexual, dissident or disabled. Its staff will fight on, unbowed and unafraid, with the courage to which you have become accustomed. Do not take that commitment for granted. Let there be no doubt that whatever sacrifices we journalists make, they are not made for our own glory or enrichment: they are made for you. Whether you deserve their sacrifice is another matter. As for me, God knows I tried.
- ► 2013 (301)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
03/01 - 03/08
- Survey: Marina Bay Sands
- Timing of the General Election
- Money does not attract talent - it merely attracts...
- Avoid the risk of a life insurance policy
- Twisting a policy
- Insurance and technology
- Be considerate and give way
- Performance of the Government
- HK: Minibond mom hits bank for $6m
- Legal action on Credit Linked Notes
- There was no one left to speak for me
- Dispute Resolution through FIDREC
- Support needed from noteholders of Pinnacles Serie...
- Obama: Bush government tried to undermine unions
- Buy a property report for $25
- Book launch: How to survive unemployment
- Consider a relief loan for needy workers
- How to make electronic medical records a reality
- Use techonology to improve bus information
- We made mistakes on the economy
- Forum on Budget 2009
- Secure investments 'misleading'
- ▼ 03/01 - 03/08 (22)
- ► 2008 (2105)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)