Dear Mr Tan,
I've read several articles that you've written where you've advocated buying the STI ETF. Thanks for taking the time to explain in simple terms the pros and cons of the issue.
I belong to the passive investing camp and believe in buying and holding a diversified basket of index-tracking, low-cost funds tracking several world markets and different asset classes. The STI ETF appears to be one such index-tracking, low-cost fund.
However, investing in the STI ETF only gives you exposure to the Singapore market, which is less than 1% of the global market. While it is a good way to participate in the local stock market, it is certainly inadequate if one wants to create and hold a diversified portfolio.
I'm interested to know if you or your readers have managed to construct a portfolio of low-cost (less than 1% expense ratio), passively managed index funds that track global market indices, investing from Singapore?
I advise people to invest in an ETF rather than to manage their own stocks. They may forget to take up rights issue or sell the rights, leading to loss due to dilution of their shares. The dividends due to them may be paid to the wrong account. To avoid these losses, the investor has to keep track of the shares - which is quite tedious. It is better to leave these matters to the fund manager of the ETF.
- ► 2013 (304)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
06/21 - 06/28
- Only 20% received offer
- ST: Lehman saga: Two thirds get payment offer
- GST records adds to cost of doing business
- Health care reform in the USA
- Quality of life in Ipoh
- Shape Quiz (T Puzzle)
- Financial reforms in America
- Unable to take up rights issue
- Learn about medication
- Shopping through the internet
- Paying in foreign currency
- China Daily:Banks may face action from SFC
- SCMP:At least 11 banks mis-sold minibonds, SFC chi...
- Will Hong Kong investors get a higher compensation...
- Full refund of premium under ILP
- The Standard:BOCHK, regulator reach minibond impas...
- Employment is the key to economic recovery
- Brain Workout (aka Intelligence Quiz)
- Correct approach to select an insurance policy
- Politics of Fear - Reader's Views
- How to construct a diversified portfolio
- Incomplete information on shares
- Puzzle: The Two Tribes
- ▼ 06/21 - 06/28 (23)
- ► 2008 (2105)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)