A few days ago I was in a hospital in Tsuen Wan waiting to have some X-rays taken when I read a notice, the gist of which was, that if someone claiming CSSA benefits was found to be doing so without being entitled to them that they could be liable to serve 10 years in prison. I was astounded, as only a day or so earlier I had read that all the bankers involved in the selling of the worthless minibonds had been let off scot free.
Banks and their agents can knowingly promote and sell worthless bonds to thousands of unwitting investors and receive nothing by way of punishment other than a warning not to do it again. But a family desperate just to survive - not to make money, just survive - could result in a family member going to prison for 10 years.
There must be something terribly wrong with the justice system for this to be so.
- ► 2013 (348)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
08/02 - 08/09
- Survey: Sit Back and Watch (SBW) Award
- Off-loading the risky credit default swaps
- Lehman Brothers Victim alliance in Hong Kong
- Happy National Day
- Suing the Wrong Party
- Platform number in MRT stations
- TRANSPARENCY IN INSURANCE: Policyholders underpaid...
- Two Canadians' views about Singapore
- Call to investors
- Volunteers for 22 August Gathering
- Great Eastern Life is maganimous
- Conduct in this blog
- TODAY:Don't bet on FIs To follow GE's lead
- Timing the stockmarket
- US Health debate: cost and benefits
- Moderation of my blog
- New ez-Link card
- Higher motor premiums
- Pricetag to raise a child - US$ 221,190
- Early redemption of mortgage loan
- SCMP:Watchdog accused over Lehman probe decision
- he Standard:SFC to tackle equity-linked notes fias...
- SCMP:Flawed system
- Internet shop - selling TKL books
- Dementia: keep it at bay
- GreatLink Choice insurance products valued between...
- Cheaper taxis
- Survey: Favourite Singaporean expressions
- SCMP:Buy-back package must be extended, investors ...
- NYTimes: Troubled Banks, Hugh Bonuses
- NYTimes: Rewarding Bad Actors ( Who Make Us Poorer...
- European CityMobile and CyCab
- Prudential Yield 15/20
- NYT: Auction rate securities
- ▼ 08/02 - 08/09 (34)
- ► 2008 (2105)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)