Hi Kin Lian,
I have been following with great interest comments concerning the need for the insurers to be more transparent about the participating bonuses and surrender values and other related matters made by you and other distinguished professionals and the insurers themselves.
My wife is personally involved with her own policy as she was considering cashing out
her policy and using the money for other modes of investment. We were disappointed that the insurer would not bother to explain how they derived at the surrender value even though the offer is at odds with the documents that their office furnished my wife earlier.
Their financial planner (sales person really) briefly said that the difference between what we should be entitled as per the document and what we have been offered is due to the underlying value in their investments that have been impaired caused by the global financial crisis.
We would be agreeable for you or another person to use our case as an example of the lack of transparency in the industry, if indeed this is the case here.
SUMMARY OF KEY FIGURES
Annual premium for whole life policy $2,013
Duration of policy: 21 years
Cash value: $54,070
Yield over 21 years: 2.2% p.a.
Total premiums paid, inclusive of rider premium: $54,074 (yield 0.0%)
After paying premiums for 21 years, the policyholder just obtained the total premiums back. The yield is 0%. If the rider premiums are excluded, the yield is 2.2% p.a.
- ► 2013 (348)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
08/30 - 09/06
- BBC: Insurance boss attacks fat cat pay
- A new society (3) - Raising a Family
- Health insurers reject claims
- Voilunteer for FISCA
- Loan insurance limit challenged
- Lack of transparency and fairness
- Research 2 - Meeting the Basic Needs of a Populati...
- Research 1 - Cost of Raising a Child
- Which government agency is responsible?
- Duty of the Government
- Wasteful marketing materials
- Values that define my character
- Yield of 0% for 21 years of premium
- Account of Gathering of 22 Aug 2009
- UK: Director of Land Banking Company Gets Seven Ye...
- Does land banking come under Collective Investment...
- Lower cost of living - the good old days
- A generous donor
- BBC: Millions make finance complaints
- A new society (2) - Distribution of work
- Will the PM or MAS agree to a meeting?
- Low cost airlines
- Quote: The worst is not behind us
- MAS defends the interest of financial institutions...
- Petition to Prime Minister - Reply by MAS
- Investors of Pinnacle Notes can get news from Lion...
- Survey: Lehman bonds
- A new society (1) - Right to a job on fair terms
- A fairer distribution of work
- Morgan Stanley, Moody,S&P must defend fraud claims...
- Cut in bonus
- Rejection from FIDREC
- Earthquake tremors in Jakarta
- An open mind
- Unexpected difficulty in connecting a flight
- Population of Jeddah
- The free market in Singapore
- Defamatory messages
- Really, who is highfalutin?
- Survey: FISCA needs volunteers
- Running the country
- Incidents at Changi Airport
- Survey results - blogs of political parties
- Survey: SMU Risk Management & Insurance
- Negative return from endowment policies
- Lost a job at 58
- High prices in Singapore
- FISCA - Choosing the people
- Future for cloud companies
- Telecommuting is a trend for the future
- Mecca - for Muslims only
- Shopping in Jeddah at midnight
- FISCA Committee
- ▼ 08/30 - 09/06 (53)
- ► 2008 (2105)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)