The raising of a family can be made an individual or a social decision. I prefer it to be a social decision.
In a society, each family can have the right to raise two children with the cost being largely borne by the society. The cost will cover pregnancy, childbirth, medical care of the mother and child, education of the child and an allowance to be given to each child.
This will encourage every family to have at least two children. Families that wish to have more children will have to bear a larger proportion of the cost, maybe 50% to 70%.
Some religion encourage their followers to have children, according to the will of God or Allah: "Go forth and multiply". Similarly, a secular society can meet a large part of the cost of raising children.
If a large part of the cost is borne by society, the citizens will have to pay a higher tax. But they will get it back through the benefits provided to their children. Those who prefer to remain single will have to pay a tax for reduce the burden of the parents. This will encourage more people to have a family and raise children.
Maybe, each person can work 1 or 2 hours a day (on top of 4 hours of work for the basic necessities) to pay for the cost of raising the children needed by society.
Tan Kin Lian
- ► 2013 (348)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
08/30 - 09/06
- BBC: Insurance boss attacks fat cat pay
- A new society (3) - Raising a Family
- Health insurers reject claims
- Voilunteer for FISCA
- Loan insurance limit challenged
- Lack of transparency and fairness
- Research 2 - Meeting the Basic Needs of a Populati...
- Research 1 - Cost of Raising a Child
- Which government agency is responsible?
- Duty of the Government
- Wasteful marketing materials
- Values that define my character
- Yield of 0% for 21 years of premium
- Account of Gathering of 22 Aug 2009
- UK: Director of Land Banking Company Gets Seven Ye...
- Does land banking come under Collective Investment...
- Lower cost of living - the good old days
- A generous donor
- BBC: Millions make finance complaints
- A new society (2) - Distribution of work
- Will the PM or MAS agree to a meeting?
- Low cost airlines
- Quote: The worst is not behind us
- MAS defends the interest of financial institutions...
- Petition to Prime Minister - Reply by MAS
- Investors of Pinnacle Notes can get news from Lion...
- Survey: Lehman bonds
- A new society (1) - Right to a job on fair terms
- A fairer distribution of work
- Morgan Stanley, Moody,S&P must defend fraud claims...
- Cut in bonus
- Rejection from FIDREC
- Earthquake tremors in Jakarta
- An open mind
- Unexpected difficulty in connecting a flight
- Population of Jeddah
- The free market in Singapore
- Defamatory messages
- Really, who is highfalutin?
- Survey: FISCA needs volunteers
- Running the country
- Incidents at Changi Airport
- Survey results - blogs of political parties
- Survey: SMU Risk Management & Insurance
- Negative return from endowment policies
- Lost a job at 58
- High prices in Singapore
- FISCA - Choosing the people
- Future for cloud companies
- Telecommuting is a trend for the future
- Mecca - for Muslims only
- Shopping in Jeddah at midnight
- FISCA Committee
- ▼ 08/30 - 09/06 (53)
- ► 2008 (2105)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)