I met with four people who were sold to invest in a land banking scheme. The promoter gave them a guarantee (in the form of an option) to buy back their investment at the end of 12 months for a full refund of their principal plus a guaranteed return.
These investors have now submitted their redemption request, but the promoter refused to honor the agreement and gave some unsatisfactory and unclear explanations.
One investor made a complaint with MAS and were told by the MAS official that land banking did not come under MAS. In my view, unless I am mistaken, land banking should fall under the scope of a collective investment scheme, which is administered by MAS. There are controls under the law on collective investment scheme to prevent the misappropriate of the funds collected from investors. This risk applies to land banking as well.
I will appreciate if a practising lawyer can clarify if land banking comes under the collective investment scheme?
Tan Kin Lian
- ► 2013 (306)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
08/30 - 09/06
- BBC: Insurance boss attacks fat cat pay
- A new society (3) - Raising a Family
- Health insurers reject claims
- Voilunteer for FISCA
- Loan insurance limit challenged
- Lack of transparency and fairness
- Research 2 - Meeting the Basic Needs of a Populati...
- Research 1 - Cost of Raising a Child
- Which government agency is responsible?
- Duty of the Government
- Wasteful marketing materials
- Values that define my character
- Yield of 0% for 21 years of premium
- Account of Gathering of 22 Aug 2009
- UK: Director of Land Banking Company Gets Seven Ye...
- Does land banking come under Collective Investment...
- Lower cost of living - the good old days
- A generous donor
- BBC: Millions make finance complaints
- A new society (2) - Distribution of work
- Will the PM or MAS agree to a meeting?
- Low cost airlines
- Quote: The worst is not behind us
- MAS defends the interest of financial institutions...
- Petition to Prime Minister - Reply by MAS
- Investors of Pinnacle Notes can get news from Lion...
- Survey: Lehman bonds
- A new society (1) - Right to a job on fair terms
- A fairer distribution of work
- Morgan Stanley, Moody,S&P must defend fraud claims...
- Cut in bonus
- Rejection from FIDREC
- Earthquake tremors in Jakarta
- An open mind
- Unexpected difficulty in connecting a flight
- Population of Jeddah
- The free market in Singapore
- Defamatory messages
- Really, who is highfalutin?
- Survey: FISCA needs volunteers
- Running the country
- Incidents at Changi Airport
- Survey results - blogs of political parties
- Survey: SMU Risk Management & Insurance
- Negative return from endowment policies
- Lost a job at 58
- High prices in Singapore
- FISCA - Choosing the people
- Future for cloud companies
- Telecommuting is a trend for the future
- Mecca - for Muslims only
- Shopping in Jeddah at midnight
- FISCA Committee
- ▼ 08/30 - 09/06 (53)
- ► 2008 (2105)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)