I spoke to someone, who is familiar with the motor trade. He made the following points:
a. The recent change resulted in a drop of 40% in COE allocation. This caused COE prices to shoot up due to the cut and also to increased demand generated by fear of further price increases. It is better to have a more stable market, rather than fluctuating prices to drive consumer behavior.
b. Taxis are now in the same category as private cars. They should be kept in a spearate category as the owners of taxis are driven by commercial consideration.
c. There is need to improve the feeder services, so that more people will take the train and buses at the interchanges.
d. Taxis should be considered as public transport. They are more efficient than cars and do not require parking spaces. The taxi fares should be simplified into a flat rate structure. Taxi drivers should be allowed to own a taxi licence and build a taxi business, rather than be renters of taxis.
I agree with these points and will bring them up at the TV program tonight. I will also raise them in other occasions in my blog.
Tan Kin Lian
- ► 2013 (348)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
04/18 - 04/25
- Renting your neighbour's car
- ST Forum: Should MAS act?
- Foreign ownership of Australian property
- Goldman Sach's Prosecution
- New migrants
- HDB dwellers can try RTM1 for World Cup
- Seniors and Finance
- TKL Intelligence Quiz (7 houses)
- Platform for PMET
- Article on land banking
- Investing in land outside Singapore
- Buy insurance directly
- New fare structure for public transport
- Upfront payment
- Land banking investments - survey
- Public transport fares
- Part time work
- Winning elections
- Reputation of Shopping Malls
- Liberal arts education (2)
- Buy motor insurance directly
- Land banking story on CNA - 18 April
- Pain of separation
- Photogragh and fingerprints of travellers
- Visitors to TKL blog
- Gold Investment Program
- Financial Underwriting
- Philosophy of Life - Mexican fishermen
- Immigrants into Singapore
- Gambling with the economy
- Private banking - legal suits between banks and cl...
- ATM Funds transfer in Jakarta
- Personal sacrifice by Goh Meng Seng
- HDB's place in Singapore's history
- World Movement for Democracy
- Lucky Tan and Mini-bonds
- From 5Cs to 5 Ks
- US Securities Exchange Commission sues Goldman Sac...
- Reward for finding car key $30
- Overseas orders for Financial Planning book
- COE and car prices
- Vera has artistic intelligence
- Inadequate savings for retirement
- Investors of Pinnacle Notes
- ▼ 04/18 - 04/25 (45)
- ► 2009 (1655)
- ► 2008 (2105)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)