I WAS surprised to read in yesterday's report that bus and train fares will go down by 2.5 per cent ('New bus, train fare system'). To peg charges to the distance travelled is a great system of calculation. Thank you, Public Transport Council, for such a good move.
Bus, train fare system must be fair to all THE Public Transport Council's decision ('New bus, train fare system'; yesterday) to implement a distance-based system to calculate transport fares with effect from July 3 is a novel approach.
While the council says it will lead to greater savings for nearly two out of three commuters, my concern is for the third of commuters who must pay a higher transport fare than at present.
It seems highly unusual that we have to penalise a significant number of commuters just because they have a direct route to their destinations. Through no fault of their own, they find themselves having to pay more so that the majority can pay less. There should be as much fairness as possible and this should not be at the expense of the minority, or anyone for that matter.
The aim should be to improve everyone's life while not worsening anyone's life in the process. I hope that future fare calculations will be done with this in mind.
- ► 2013 (301)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
04/18 - 04/25
- Renting your neighbour's car
- ST Forum: Should MAS act?
- Foreign ownership of Australian property
- Goldman Sach's Prosecution
- New migrants
- HDB dwellers can try RTM1 for World Cup
- Seniors and Finance
- TKL Intelligence Quiz (7 houses)
- Platform for PMET
- Article on land banking
- Investing in land outside Singapore
- Buy insurance directly
- New fare structure for public transport
- Upfront payment
- Land banking investments - survey
- Public transport fares
- Part time work
- Winning elections
- Reputation of Shopping Malls
- Liberal arts education (2)
- Buy motor insurance directly
- Land banking story on CNA - 18 April
- Pain of separation
- Photogragh and fingerprints of travellers
- Visitors to TKL blog
- Gold Investment Program
- Financial Underwriting
- Philosophy of Life - Mexican fishermen
- Immigrants into Singapore
- Gambling with the economy
- Private banking - legal suits between banks and cl...
- ATM Funds transfer in Jakarta
- Personal sacrifice by Goh Meng Seng
- HDB's place in Singapore's history
- World Movement for Democracy
- Lucky Tan and Mini-bonds
- From 5Cs to 5 Ks
- US Securities Exchange Commission sues Goldman Sac...
- Reward for finding car key $30
- Overseas orders for Financial Planning book
- COE and car prices
- Vera has artistic intelligence
- Inadequate savings for retirement
- Investors of Pinnacle Notes
- ▼ 04/18 - 04/25 (45)
- ► 2009 (1655)
- ► 2008 (2105)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)