The Sunday Times have an article that showed that many people have inadequate savings for retirement. Why is this the case? The same question was posed to me by a journalist recently. I gave the following reasons:
1. People spent too much money on their property.
2. They got a poor yield on their savings in life insurance policies, due to the high charges which takes away more than 30% of their accumulated savings
3. They were badly advised by insurance agents to switch from an earlier policy to a new policy, incurring the high upfront charges again. This can occur several times during a working lifetime.
Better late than never. Consumers should be educated to avoid bad investment decisions. They should spend $12 and 12 hours to read my book, Practical Guide on Financial Planning. This book also contains tips to the consumers on:
a. What to do with their existing life insurance policies
b. What should they do with their future savings?
c. How should they invest their money during retirement?
d. What type of life annuity should they pick?
3. How much should they spend on a property?
They should advise their children to start their working career on a proper footing and avoid making the same mistakes. Order online.
Tan Kin Lian
- ► 2013 (310)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
04/18 - 04/25
- Renting your neighbour's car
- ST Forum: Should MAS act?
- Foreign ownership of Australian property
- Goldman Sach's Prosecution
- New migrants
- HDB dwellers can try RTM1 for World Cup
- Seniors and Finance
- TKL Intelligence Quiz (7 houses)
- Platform for PMET
- Article on land banking
- Investing in land outside Singapore
- Buy insurance directly
- New fare structure for public transport
- Upfront payment
- Land banking investments - survey
- Public transport fares
- Part time work
- Winning elections
- Reputation of Shopping Malls
- Liberal arts education (2)
- Buy motor insurance directly
- Land banking story on CNA - 18 April
- Pain of separation
- Photogragh and fingerprints of travellers
- Visitors to TKL blog
- Gold Investment Program
- Financial Underwriting
- Philosophy of Life - Mexican fishermen
- Immigrants into Singapore
- Gambling with the economy
- Private banking - legal suits between banks and cl...
- ATM Funds transfer in Jakarta
- Personal sacrifice by Goh Meng Seng
- HDB's place in Singapore's history
- World Movement for Democracy
- Lucky Tan and Mini-bonds
- From 5Cs to 5 Ks
- US Securities Exchange Commission sues Goldman Sac...
- Reward for finding car key $30
- Overseas orders for Financial Planning book
- COE and car prices
- Vera has artistic intelligence
- Inadequate savings for retirement
- Investors of Pinnacle Notes
- ▼ 04/18 - 04/25 (45)
- ► 2009 (1655)
- ► 2008 (2105)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)