A Singaporean, who has migrated to Australia and continued to visit Singapore regularly, made this observation about transparency of Government.
In Australia, there is a free media that is willing to criticize government decisions that they consider to be bad. The academics, i.e. university professors, are also willing to argue the issues independently.The ministers had to go on television and radio to defend their policies against critics.
He observed that some of the statements made by ministers in Singapore would never survive the debate in Australia.
He made research on certain issues and found it difficult to get the relevant statistics in Singapore. In Australia,t he statistics are produced by an independent agency, are available at a detailed level and are not controlled by the government. The quality of the statistics are much better than in Singapore.
When he first migrated to Australia, he felt that Australia would give a better future for his family. After 40 years, he still felt the same, although the conditions in the two countries had changed considerably. He like the openness, transparency and accountability found in Australia.
Tan Kin Lian
- ► 2019 (1280)
- ► 2018 (1406)
- ► 2017 (1258)
- ► 2016 (828)
- ► 2015 (691)
- ► 2014 (144)
- ► 2013 (501)
- ► 2012 (1269)
05/15 - 05/22
- Why housing prices will fall
- Survey - PM Lee has to share the blame
- No more blank cheques for the PAP
- President Harry Truman
- Car Pool website
- Two camps in PAP?
- Mio TV by SingTel
- Housing price conundrum
- Khanacademy - learn for free
- Rent or buy a home?
- Buying a HDB flat (part 2)
- Wine at inflated prices
- PM Lee has to share the blame
- My views on the new cabinet lineup
- CPF Money
- New cabinet lineup in Singapore
- George Yeo's legacy
- FISCA membership fees
- FISCA - buying insurance prudently
- Silver - safe haven asset
- GE2011 - reflection by Wong Wee Nam
- The general election 2011 - views of Catherine Lim...
- Survey - LKY and GCT leaves cabinets
- Singapore General Election - view from Australia
- Public transport - that sinking feeling
- A bad investment linked policy (Vista)
- Survey - Open letter to the Prime Minister
- Personal rapid transport (PRT)
- Survey: LKY and GCT to leave cabinet
- Transparency of Government
- Do you hear the people sing?
- A local song for our dear leaders
- ▼ 05/15 - 05/22 (32)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1654)
- ► 2008 (2104)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)