Wednesday, August 16, 2006

My personal experience in managing my own money

Zaobao's CEO forum

Although I earn a high salary as a chief executive officer, I spend my money carefully.

I give a monthly allowance to my wife to take care of the food and other household expenses. I spend carefully on my entertainment, clothing and other personal expenses. If I am not using the company car, I prefer to take a bus or MRT, rather than call a taxi.

I think carefully, before I buy appliances, furniture or other household needs. I keep things for several years and will not replace them unless they break down. When I travel on holiday, I will fly economy class and stay in modestly priced hotels. I do not want to be extravagrant.

My wife share my same values and avoid spending extravagrantly. But, she likes to wear nice clothes and to look pretty. Once a while, she will pamper herself.

I make a large monthly contribution to the Community Chest of Singapore to help the needy.

I have a lot of savings each month. I invest most of my savings in a large, well diversified investment fund managed by NTUC Income. I invest for the long term, i.e 10 years or longer. During the past few years, the fund achieved a very attractive rate of return of more than 15% per annum.

Previously, when I invested on my own in shares, I did not make much gain. Some of my shares made money, but others lose money. On the whole, I do make a small gain, but it was not spectacular. I learned that it is better to let the professional fund manager make the decison for me. They have more time to monitor the investments in the fund.

I live in my own house and own two other properties on rental. I bought my properties at a high price, so they do not make any profit for me. They earn a modest return on the rental.

People who buy property at a low price can make a big capital gain. But, in my case, I am not so lucky with my property investments.

If I were to earn a much lower salary, I will certainly have a monthly budget and make sure that at least 15 percent of my salary is saved for the future. I will be even more careful with my monthly spending. I wish to advise all young people to have a similar approach towards their spending and savings. Do not be extravagrant. Be frugal.

I have three children. Two are working. My youngest is still in university. I encourage them to follow my financial habit and be frugal.

I have taken an investment-linked policy and invested a lump sum for each of my three children. I prefer to give them some of my assets now, so that they can have some money that now belong to them. This will give them a sense of financial well being and independence. So far, they have been careful, and allowed the savings to accumulate and earn a good return. They have not taken out the money to spend.

3 comments:

Yong Kiat said...

If every CEO will be like you, it will be good for the society.

Talking about our young people, I will encourage them to save more than 15%, especially for singles. If a single is earning $1,500, They need to spend only 20% to 30% for their own expenses, 20% contribute in CPF, 20% to their parents and the rest in savings. That is around 30% to 40% ($450 to $600). Part of the money should be invested, in funds such as what Mr Tan have suggested.

The money saved and invested could be used for the following:

i) Further education
ii) Wedding in the future.
iii) Family Planning.
iv) Retirement

Yong Kiat said...

Of course, they should travel around the world. The best way for them to travel is to backpack in budget airlines and youth hostels.

Travel does not mean spent lots of money. It is possible to travel under $300 for 3 nights and airfare in many places around the region.

globevestor said...

For those who do not have the time or inclination for investment, they should let investment professionals to do the job for them. Of course there is no guarantee in investing. They should shop around and compare.

Blog Archive