I have the option to make the following investment of $1 million:
a) 1 m in SGD deposit : 2.9%pa (interest : $2,383 per month )
b) 1 m in USD deposit @ 1.53 = USD 653,594 @ 4.9%pa (interest: USD 2632 per month )
c) currency-linked investment: 1 million SGD/ USD : strike at 1.5240, 5% p.a. (USD 656,168, interest USD 2,696)
The interest rate between (b) and (c) is only 0.1% difference. If USD falls by 2%, I face the loss. If it gains by 2%, the bank gives me only 0.4% (difference between 1.524 and 1.53) and keeps the difference of 1.6%. I have decided NOT to buy the "currency linked" investment.
If I wish to invest in USD, it is better to take the straight forward deposit, ie (b) above. Do not invest in (c).
- ► 2013 (348)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
- ► 2008 (2105)
03/18 - 03/25
- Stay - when you are needed
- Engage in a debate
- USA Treasury Secretary
- Ministers' Salaries
- Return over past 20 years
- A different way to determine the market salary
- Encourage car pooling
- Planning for Retirement
- A suitable plan for a new born child?
- Should I continue my current ILP plan?
- Analysis of a "currency linked" investment
- Activities of Center For Seniors
- Too many groups catering to the elderly?
- Make it easy for elderly to board the bus
- Suitable product for 59 year old
- Sevem wonders of the world
- A blog for corporate branding
- What programming was like 40 years ago
- Wireless@SG hotspots
- High performance organisation
- Recruit Talent
- Magazines for people above 45: Prime, Gao Feng
- Bid for your own COE
- Part time employment for seniors
- Hospital bill for $20,000
- 3G Mobile Data
- Simplify our public transport system
- Super-risky home loans
- Preparing for a Talk on Financial Planning
- How to handle a technical call center
- Tips on Financial Planning
- Logic9 (Sudoku) teaches 3 important skills
- Older people are "not wanted"
- Being old
- Allow more people to attend the university courses...
- ▼ 03/18 - 03/25 (36)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)