Hi Mr Tan,
While I appreciate your insights into many insurance issues (especially buying term insurance), your market timing posts are certainly not among them; in fact it could be detrimental to encourage market timing.
If an investor has an investment plan, stick to it. (If you don't have one, create one!) Market timing is not going to work.
Many writers have already documented that market timing does not work. Read up John Bogle's book in more detail if you must or ask him personally if you managed to get to meet him in future.
You are right about John Bogle's advice to avoid market timing. He advised to stay invested all the way. I generally follow this principle.
I wish to make an exception in this instance (when the market is irrationally exuberant). I have seen what happened when foreign funds move out of a small Singapore market. (This situation does not apply to America or the global market).
There is a difference between "market timing" and "strategic asset allocation". I shall write about it in a separate posting.
You are also right about "market timing". Half of the time, one will get it wrong.
You can get to read my views in my website, Ask Mr Tan. Look for point 7 in Investment Tips, April 2007.
- ► 2013 (301)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
- ► 2008 (2105)
04/22 - 04/29
- Means test
- Disability insurance
- A new computer system for the civil service
- Loop system for bus service
- Driving under difficult conditions
- Hub and spokes
- Judge a person's character for a job
- Long Travelling Time on Buses
- Asset allocation for your long term savings
- A good plan for a young family
- Law of trusts
- Letter from my ex-colleague
- Reply to "Two Great Leaders Who Miss Being Great"
- Plan with different charges
- A Matter of the Mind
- Feeder and express bus services
- False resume to get a job
- Index funds
- Great websites
- Buy i-Term from NTUC Income?
- Avoid market timing
- Term insurance at Aviva's website
- Improve public transport
- Dance Appreciation at the Esplanade
- Sold too early?
- Term insurance - Income & Aviva
- Hedge fund
- Return on NTUC Income's funds
- Sell Singapore shares?
- Lecture on insurance
- Reduce my holdings of Singapore shares
- Estimated yield for next 10 years
- Personal accident policy
- Claim review committee
- Fixed deposit interest rate
- Comfortable SMRT train ride
- Shopping for Travel Insurance
- Get the right assumptions
- Travel Insurance from the Portal
- Travel agent sells travel insurance
- Invest the settlement in an annuity
- Home content insurance
- Life Insurance Settlement
- Home content insurance
- Have a lower yield target of 6%
- Anticipated endowment sold badly
- Balance profit and service
- Travel insurance - emergency evacuation
- Travel Portal - Zuji, Priceline
- Booking an air ticket through the internet
- Money market fund
- Is Gold a good investment?
- Road Safety
- Buy motor insurance direct
- Cost of investing
- Planning a holiday at Gold Coast
- Success factors for NTUC Income
- ▼ 04/22 - 04/29 (61)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)