Printed in Today paper on 26 April 2007.
I refer to Mr PN Balji's commentary, "Two good leaders who missed being great", (TODAY, 24 April 2007).
Mr Balji described Mr Tan Kin Lian's management style when he was the chief executive officer of NTUC Income. He stated that "Every press release, even an innocuous one-line statement, had to be approved by him. Every advertisement had to be vetted by him. It was central control all the way".
In my opinion, this statement is totally incorrect.
I have had the privilege to work with Mr Tan for more than 13 years in marketing, as well as in office support services. He believed in developing his managers, encouraging them to take responsibilities and make decisions within their job scopes. There was a system of escalation for higher-level decision making.
From my perspective, the officers and managers in NTUC Income were empowered to make and execute operational decisions. The functions I am familiar with, including advertising, do not function any differently.
Peter Ng Kee Choon
(I am writing in my personal capacity)
- ► 2013 (315)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
- ► 2008 (2105)
04/22 - 04/29
- Means test
- Disability insurance
- A new computer system for the civil service
- Loop system for bus service
- Driving under difficult conditions
- Hub and spokes
- Judge a person's character for a job
- Long Travelling Time on Buses
- Asset allocation for your long term savings
- A good plan for a young family
- Law of trusts
- Letter from my ex-colleague
- Reply to "Two Great Leaders Who Miss Being Great"
- Plan with different charges
- A Matter of the Mind
- Feeder and express bus services
- False resume to get a job
- Index funds
- Great websites
- Buy i-Term from NTUC Income?
- Avoid market timing
- Term insurance at Aviva's website
- Improve public transport
- Dance Appreciation at the Esplanade
- Sold too early?
- Term insurance - Income & Aviva
- Hedge fund
- Return on NTUC Income's funds
- Sell Singapore shares?
- Lecture on insurance
- Reduce my holdings of Singapore shares
- Estimated yield for next 10 years
- Personal accident policy
- Claim review committee
- Fixed deposit interest rate
- Comfortable SMRT train ride
- Shopping for Travel Insurance
- Get the right assumptions
- Travel Insurance from the Portal
- Travel agent sells travel insurance
- Invest the settlement in an annuity
- Home content insurance
- Life Insurance Settlement
- Home content insurance
- Have a lower yield target of 6%
- Anticipated endowment sold badly
- Balance profit and service
- Travel insurance - emergency evacuation
- Travel Portal - Zuji, Priceline
- Booking an air ticket through the internet
- Money market fund
- Is Gold a good investment?
- Road Safety
- Buy motor insurance direct
- Cost of investing
- Planning a holiday at Gold Coast
- Success factors for NTUC Income
- ▼ 04/22 - 04/29 (61)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)