1. Can the cost of insurance be reduced?
Yes. Insurers have to design and market low cost insurance to cover personal risks, such as death, accidents and medical expenses.
The product has to be kept simple. The cost of marketing should be reduced considerably.
2. What about customers who prefer to have a return on their premiums?
It is better for customers to separate their insurance from investments. They will get a higher return on their investments and greater flexibility.
3. Is there still a role for insurance agents?
Yes. The agent plays a useful role to help the customer to get a competitive rate and to handle the paperwork. The commission can be 10% of the low cost premium.
As the premium is small, the commission is small. The agent cannot spend time to visit the customer. The agent has to improve the productvity. Most of the transactions can be handled through the telephone. If the customer has to be seen by the agent, the customer should visit the agent's office.
This is similar to buying stocks through a stockbroker or consulting a doctor.
4. Why are endowment and whole life products still popular in the developed markets?
They are popular in the markets where the customer can reduce tax by buying these life insurance products. The marketing cost of these products can be covered by the tax savings and still give a net benefit to the customer. The insurance adviser has to find the right customer who can benefit from the tax savings.
This situation does not apply in Singapore, as there is negligble tax savings from life insurance products. The marketing expenses eats into the investment return. Hence, it is better for the investments to be separated from insurance.
- ► 2017 (490)
- ► 2016 (828)
- ► 2015 (691)
- ► 2014 (144)
- ► 2013 (501)
- ► 2012 (1269)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1654)
- ► 2008 (2104)
12/16 - 12/23
- Different Types of Investment Funds
- A marketing tool
- Agent to source for quotes
- Invest for the long term
- Family Insurance
- Invest in Bonds
- Happy Holidays
- Top up your relatives CPF accounts
- How to make your CPF money work HARDER
- A new way to publish a book
- Reverse Mortgage
- Book on Logic Quiz
- Swan Lake at the Esplanade
- Investing in each other's products
- Term with critical illness cover
- Big writeoffs for sub-prime losses
- Horrified by shark attacks?
- Insurance agents who look after your interest
- Charges of an Investment Linked Plan (ILP)
- Innovative, animated, e-greeting card
- Living policy actively promoted in the past
- ILP and Unit Trust
- Promoting Swan Lake
- Visitors to my blog
- Buy Term Insurance Directly
- Pay less for your motor insurance
- Swan Lake - tell your friends
- Critical Illness Policy for $250,000
- Sudoku Workshop at Bishan
- SuperSIV Bailout Fund
- Flexi Link and CPF policies
- Logic Quiz A-8
- Taxi service in Singapore
- Light buses in Hong Kong
- CEO uses public transport
- How much to insure for critical illness?
- Money Market Fund
- Invest the year-end bonus
- Swan Lake - the story
- Investing in volatile market conditions
- Swan Lake, 20 - 23 December, Esplanade
- Renewal of motor insurance
- Forward Pricing of Unit Trust
- Buy Motor Insurance Directly
- Buy Term Insurance Directly
- Investment-linked plan with high distribution cost...
- NTUC Income's Money Market Fund
- Government Bonds
- Search my blog
- Logic Quiz A-7
- Logic Quizzes at my website
- Answers to 6J16, 6A19
- Good chance to win the Sudoku Challenge
- Bid and Offer prices of Unit Trust
- Sudoku Challenge 6 and 13 January 2008
- Sudoku (Logic9) workshop
- How long does it take to solve a Logic Quiz?
- Lower the cost of insurance
- Types of Liability
- Corporate governance and risk management
- Answer to J17, A17
- Use credit card to buy shares?
- Logic Quiz 6A-19
- Logic Quiz 6J-17
- ▼ 12/16 - 12/23 (65)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)