Dear Mr. Tan,
I am told that if I make a claim, the insurance company can refuse to renew my medical insurance. Is this correct?
Some medical insurance plan operate on a yearly basis. The insurance company has the legal the right to refuse renewal or to charge a higher premium rate if the policyholder is in bad health.
The Medishield (and similar plans provided by the insurance companies) have the guaranteed renewability feature. It operates as follows:
1. The insurance company is obliged to renew the medical insurance until a certain specified age (say 85 years) or for a lifetime.
2. The premium rate is the same as applied to all people in the same age group or category. The insurance company cannot charge a higher premium rate for an insured person who has made a claim.
This is called "guaranteed renewability".
- ► 2013 (348)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
03/02 - 03/09
- Poll: Preferred type of term insurance
- Subprime losses could reach USD 400 billion
- High charges
- Credit card debt
- Earnings of Global Insurers
- Growth Policy
- Selamat Datang
- Term insurance with income benefit
- Taxis Stands in Central Business District
- Finance Your Passion Workshop
- Consumers are dissatisfied with financial institut...
- Buying life insurance in Singapore
- Speculative investment
- Computing the yield
- How to invest in this environment?
- Yields on Singapore Government bonds
- How To Maximize our R & D Investments
- Questions on existing life insurance policies
- Low Cost Life Insurance Policy
- Accumulate short term savings in a bank account
- Poll: Saving for a child's education
- Fair remuneation for an adviser
- Charges on your Investment Linked Policy
- Poor cash value for this whole life plan
- Poor products and unethical sales techniques
- A very poor deal
- Poll: Attitude towards savings
- Article: Don't expect another bull market
- Poll on savings and insurance
- Life insurance for a child
- Lower premium on motor insurance
- Life policy taken by a parent
- Guaranteed renewability
- Coping with future increases in medical insurance
- Pay off a housing loan
- Earn a return of 6% to 24% a year
- Benchmark premium rates for Term Insurance
- Save for your future needs
- Value of Life Insurance
- Spread in Flexi-link
- ▼ 03/02 - 03/09 (41)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)