An insurance agent presented an insurance policy for a young person. The agent gave him a standard "policy illustration" comprising of about 10 pages with several hundred figures. The young person was confused. He asked for my advice.
Here is my analysis of the plan:
1. It is an investment-linked plan involving a monthly saving of $100
2. About $2,400 of the insurance premium (about two years of savings) will be taken away to pay commisison and expenses.
3. After 10 years, even if the fund earned 9% (which is unlikely), the cash value is still less than the premiums paid
4. The agent recommended that the premium be invested in the India and Vietnam funds.
I am angry that a respectable insurance company could offer a poor value product to its customers. The insurance agent is unethical in pushing such a product to an unsavvy customer, without disclosing the relevant facts.
The strategy is to confuse the customer with a lot of confusing figures and to train the agent in the "sales technique" to sell this product.
How many customers are being taken for a ride each day, with this type of products? I hope that the Monetary Authority of Singapore will realise the weakness of this type of "product disclosure".
- ► 2013 (315)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
03/02 - 03/09
- Poll: Preferred type of term insurance
- Subprime losses could reach USD 400 billion
- High charges
- Credit card debt
- Earnings of Global Insurers
- Growth Policy
- Selamat Datang
- Term insurance with income benefit
- Taxis Stands in Central Business District
- Finance Your Passion Workshop
- Consumers are dissatisfied with financial institut...
- Buying life insurance in Singapore
- Speculative investment
- Computing the yield
- How to invest in this environment?
- Yields on Singapore Government bonds
- How To Maximize our R & D Investments
- Questions on existing life insurance policies
- Low Cost Life Insurance Policy
- Accumulate short term savings in a bank account
- Poll: Saving for a child's education
- Fair remuneation for an adviser
- Charges on your Investment Linked Policy
- Poor cash value for this whole life plan
- Poor products and unethical sales techniques
- A very poor deal
- Poll: Attitude towards savings
- Article: Don't expect another bull market
- Poll on savings and insurance
- Life insurance for a child
- Lower premium on motor insurance
- Life policy taken by a parent
- Guaranteed renewability
- Coping with future increases in medical insurance
- Pay off a housing loan
- Earn a return of 6% to 24% a year
- Benchmark premium rates for Term Insurance
- Save for your future needs
- Value of Life Insurance
- Spread in Flexi-link
- ▼ 03/02 - 03/09 (41)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)