Thursday, August 23, 2012

Impractical standards on online security

Some people make a big issue about online security and gets upset that their telephone number of email address is retrieved without their permission. Is this a big concern?

If anyone wants to know my telephone number or address, they can look up the telephone book. My mobile number and email address is already known to many unauthorized people anyway. 

When I get an unsolicited call on my mobil
e phone, usually from a telemarketer, I tell that person off - that he or she is intruding on my privacy. They must have noted my complaint and seldom call back again.

I get daily emails showing "... I got a business proposal for you". I just delete them.

I support a law that make it a crime for someone to hack into an online account (it is the same as stealing) but in other cases, I accept that this nuisance is a part of the daily life.

I do not want to be forced to change my password and PIN, just because of this small risk. Our regulator, such as MAS and IDA, should also mind their business and not impose unnecessary standards to protect online accounts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

[Please hold for harassment]

"Behind those annoying phone calls from telemarketers lies a network of people _ often major banks and credit cards _ leaking your information which is then sold at a premium. And right now, Thailand has no privacy laws to stop the practice"

http://www.bangkokpost.com/lifestyle/family/309398/please-hold-for-harassment

Blog Archive