Sunday, December 02, 2012

My views about the "unofficial strike"


My sympathies are with the workers who were involved in the "unofficial strike", although I wish that they could have used other channels to express their grievance. I hope that this incident will make the government leaders and top management more aware about the ground feelings.

I know that the unofficial strike is inconvenient to public transport users (and I am one of them). I also know that traffic delay are regularly caused by serious accidents and traffic congestion during peak hours. In this respect, I would not exaggerate the seriousness of the incident. I understand the paranoia that this can cause a flood gate towards more serious industrial action in the future, although I personally do not share this fear.

I know that many Singaporeans are not as tolerant as I am, and they will raise "a public outburst" about the inconvenience caused by the disruption. We should learn to be sympathetic to the plight of other people and should not only focus on their own convenience.

As a Singaporean, I do not wish to take side against the PRC workers. I wish to treat them the same as for local workers. Some of the "public outburst" against the workers are based on their PRC origin. I find this discrimination to be unacceptable. We should not practice discrimination - racial, religious or cultural. We must treat everyone fairly and without discrimination.

Those who know me well will recognize that I often speak for the under-dogs and for people who are oppressed by the social or economic environment.  This is just another example of the way that I see things. I hope that more Singaporeans will join me in seeing issues from this angle.




No comments:

Blog Archive