Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Book: The Essential Drucker

I first learned about Peter Drucker nearly 40 years ago, when I read his book "The Effective Executive". He wrote about the right approach to make business decisions. I remembered his advice clearly, "get the facts".

Over the past 30 years, I learned that the key difference between an practical manager and a theoretical scholar, is the ability to get the relevant facts to make bold decision.

I have also read other books by Peter Drucker. I get the following impression about him:

* his writings are simple, clear, easy to read
* he gives practical and relevant advice on management
* he strongly believes in working for the benefit of the customer and society as a whole

In many ways, I share his thinking, approach and values.

Peter Drucker has a doctorate in public and international law, and has worked as a newspaper reporter, economist, editorial columnist and university professor. He has also written many books on management.

His latest book, "The Essential Drucker" contains a selection from 60 years of his writings on management. I wish to recommend this book to practising and aspiring managers.

Peter Drucker passed away recently at a ripe old age.

Tan Kin Lian

No comments:

Blog Archive