Monday, March 05, 2007

Find the right people

Every manager knows that it is important to attract the right people to join your business, and that people make the difference.

The challenge is:

* how to identify the right people?
* how to attract them (when they have other opportunities)?
* how to motivated them to stay with you and to perform well?

I adopt the following approach:

* be transparent: share the vision and strategies
* discuss how the new employee can contribute to the plan
* help the new employee to learn how his or her skills can be put to productive use

I recruit for attitude, and train for skill (the RATS formula). This allows the employee to perform best in my business (and not elsewhere). It will be a compelling reason for the employee to stay with me.

I am willing to change the specification of the job to fit the skill and preference of the employee, so long as the value of the contribution can justify the pay.

I find this approach to be more sustainable than recruiting talented people (who have other opportunities). I like to recruit some talented people, that they must be able to "fit" into my business.

No comments:

Blog Archive