Term insurance is a contract where you pay a premium and hope that you do not have to make a claim.
For example, assume that for a group of working people, an average of 2 in 1,000 people will die each year due to accidents or illness. The participants can each contribute $200 into the pool to pay $100,000 to the family of the person who passes away.
Each person hopes that he will not be the person who makes a claim and that his contribution helps the family of the unfortunate person.
The life insurance company enters into the picture to provide a service to the 1,000 people. The company needs to have a loading of about 30% to cover the expenses and the cost of capital to support the pool (in case there is more than one claim in a certain year). Each participant pays a premium of $260. This is a fair loading to the true cost of insurance.
Many insurance companies offer other product that requires a high premium of $2,000 to $5,000 to cover $100,000, but provide some cash value (i.e. partial refund of the premium). However, most of these product are still too expensive, as a large part of the premium is used to pay commission and other expenses. The expense charges are likely to be more than the total premium payable under the term insurance.
It is better to pay a fair premium for the term insurance and hope that you do not make a claim.
- ► 2013 (304)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
02/24 - 03/02
- Earn a higher return from an investment fund
- Choices in investments
- Low cost investment funds in Sweden
- 25 year family income and term insurance
- Alternative to fixed deposit
- 20 year Family Income Policy
- Buying insurance on a limited budget
- Surrender a life policy
- Big losses in AIG
- Shuttle service to MRT station
- Theft of cash cards from cars
- Family Income Policy
- Term insurance replaces loss of earnings
- Comparing Anticipation and Revosave
- Changi Airport
- MAS Consultation Paper
- Inflation in Saudi Arabia
- Fair treatment of policyholders
- Dubai Airport
- Loss of No Claim Discount
- Expertise in claim settlement
- Planning for early retirement
- Endowment policy with regular payout
- Education Plan
- Logic9 (Sudoku)
- Intelligent Lifts
- Hedge against inflation
- Insurance for a baby
- Ask for quotes from a few insurance companies
- Income Benefit
- Insurance and 4-D
- Liability insurance
- Research Activities
- The Need to Live and Work in Harmony
- Fair Dealing Outcomes
- Concept of term insurance
- Support for new life insurance company
- Paying benefits by installments
- A new life insurance company?
- Review of existing policies
- Low cost products
- Keep your savings in CPF up to the caps
- ▼ 02/24 - 03/02 (44)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)