Singaporeans travel by BMW using “bus, MRT, walk”. To promote, the Government plans to:
a) Build more MRT lines over the nexlt 15 years in Singapore.
b) Introduce more feeder services
I wish to suggest a further leg to this strategy:
c) Make it practical for people to walk to and from the MRT station.
My proposal is:
d) Build elevated, shaded walkways from MRT stations to cover a distance of approximately 1 km to reach different neighbourhoods.
e) Make it possible for people to climb once and use the walkway to reach the MRT station, crossing many roads.
f) It will be comfortable to walk on the elevated walkway as it is shaded from the sun and rain.
g) This will also encourage people to walk to the nearby town center, market, school or bus terminus.
In Taipei, there is an elevated walkway (the local called it the Skywalk) that crosses many roads in the Taipei City Government disrict. It is well used.
It may be costly to build the elevated walkways, but if can be considered as being part of the total cost of the MRT line. The incremental cost of the walkway is probably less than 5%. It can be justified, if it encourages more people living in the nearby areas to use the MRT system.
Perhaps, a pilot project can be done to build this elevated walkway in one town, e.g. Ang Mo Kio, to test its feasibility? If successful, it can be implemented in the other towns.
- ► 2013 (306)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
02/03 - 02/10
- Managing risks
- Managing your personal risk
- Critical illness
- Dance: Giselle in the Park
- ICE - In case of emergency
- Is it necessary to have an adviser?
- A good time to invest in REITs?
- Investing in REITS
- Shopping Mall or MRT station
- Choose a good adviser
- Dividend paid from a Fund
- First Anniversary of this Blog
- Motor insurance claim
- Joke - Make a Will
- Keep invested in STI ETF
- Higher cost of Vivolife
- Future for Financial Advisers
- Medishield: Cheap and Good
- Actuary Joke: Walk half the distance
- Boosting the US economy
- Changes to CPF Investment Scheme
- Agent plays an important role
- Government bonds and endowment
- High cost Endowment Policy - Views
- CDOs being rated downwards
- Bangkok Skywalk
- Target of 1,000 visitors a day
- Invest CPF ordinary account in STI ETF
- Travel by BMW
- Useful information
- High cost Endowment Policy
- Dual currency investment (or deposit)
- Another perspective
- Lower upfront cost
- Minibond Series 35
- REITS with good yield and low price
- Buying a Shield plan
- Higher productivity in insurance sales
- Selecting Blue Chips
- Divident yield on STI Exchange Traded Fund
- Redeem whole life policy?
- Call and Put Options
- Single Premium Endowment
- Questionable sales practices
- Save in a period of inflation
- Use Medisave sparingly
- Medishield and Eldershield
- Savings for the short term and long term
- Impressions of Kuala Lumpur
- ▼ 02/03 - 02/10 (51)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)