This is the code name of a new life insurance product called “Buy term and invest the difference”.
I hope to get a new insurance company to offer this product to the public. I am publishing the details, so that some of the existing large companies can copy it and introduce it to the public.
The key features of this new product are:
- Good yield on the savings
- Adequate coverage at low cost
This can be achieved by designing simple products that
- Fair to consumers
- Easy to understand
- Have low operating cost
- Reduced marketing cost
The savings are invested in a diversified investment fund that have an expense ratio less than 1% per annum. It is invested in quality investments, comprising of equities and bonds, that can earn an average gross yield of 6% over the long term. After deducting expenses, the net yield should be at least 5%.
This yield will give a higher return, compared to life insurance products that currently earn 3% to 4% for consumers.
The product offers the following flexibility:
- To increase or reduce the savings rate
- To make withdrawals at minimal cost
An important feature of this product is that there is no front-end load to pay for the marketing expenses. The transaction cost is low and covers the actual expenses. This makes it possible for people to make withdrawals at minimal cost or penalty.
5. Insurance Coverage
The insurance coverage will be bought in a separate policy. It covers a selected period of 20 or 25 years to provide the following payments on death or critical illness during the period of insurance:
- A lump sum payable on death
- A monthly income benefit payable on death for the remainder of the term
- A monthly income payable for the period of recovery from a critical illness
This insurance coverage should be adequate to meet the financial needs. To reduce the cost, the coverage should be taken for a period of 20 or 25 years. It should not extend beyond the age of 65, where most people are expected to retire.
These products are fairly priced, based on the actual cost of benefits plus a margin to cover expenses and profit. The cost is much lower than similar products now offered in the market.
Beyond the period of 20 or 25 years, there is no need for the insurance coverage as the invested savings will accumulate to a sufficient amount.
6. Low marketing cost
This product can be marketing at low cost through the following strategy:
- The product is easy to understand
- It offers good value to consumers
- Consumers are educated about the product
- Many consumers are willing to buy the product directly
- The product can be purchased through the internet, call center or sales office
With low marketing expenses, consumers do not have to pay a hefty front-end load.
This product will give great value to consumers. I hope that more insurance companies will offer this product, so that consumers can benefit from it.
Tan Kin Lian
- ► 2013 (302)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
03/09 - 03/16
- Benchmark premium rates for critical illness
- Financial Crisis
- Car Free Cities
- 1,000 visitors
- Ask for three quotes
- Keep invested in CPF
- Tolerance for mistakes
- Top up spouse account to qualify for CPF Life annu...
- Give time to sort out the problem
- Benchmark rates for critical illness
- Investing in Stocks
- Whole Life
- Poll: amount of critical illness coverage
- Poll: duration of critical illness insurance
- Life insurance for your child
- Critical illness premium subject to revision
- Critical Illness - how to insure
- Where to buy term insurance?
- Distribution channels
- Whole life policy
- Travel to Jakarta
- Satisfactory return on Endowment Policy
- Insuring against critical illness
- A new product: BTID
- Car Loan
- Invest in Foreign Currency
- Existing Life Insurance Policy
- Regular premium investment-linked policy
- Large increase in motor insurance premium
- 60th birthday
- ▼ 03/09 - 03/16 (30)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)