An elderly person told me, "Long ago, many people can trust their bank to give them a fair return on their savings. Nowadays, the banks make a lot of profit by selling bad financial products to their customers. Many customers now distrust the banks".
What has happened during the past ten years, that makes the banks lose the trust of their customers?
Long ago, the banks are tightly controlled by the regulator. They have a few common products that their customers can understand, such as a saving account, a current account and fixed deposits. The customers can compare the interest rate paid on these savings and deposits. The banks have to offer competitive terms to attract and retain their customers.
The situation changed in the past decade. Banks started to offer complicated financial products. They employ marketing officers to sell these products, such as high cost life insurance products. Later, they sell structured investment products.
There is a change in the role of the regulator. They are not concerned about ensuring fairness to the consumers, and decide to leave this matter to the market. The consumers are left at the mercy of the issuers of these products. The issuers have the objective of maximising their profit and do not mind "ripping off the consumers". Business ethics disappeared.
The banks market these products to their consumers. They make a handsome profit from the commissions paid by the product issuers. But the poor consumers are given poor financial products. They only realise it after 3 to 5 years, but by then, it is too late.
This is how banks lose the confidence of the customers.
- ► 2013 (310)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
07/20 - 07/27
- Joke: Count the legs
- How to improve the traffic flow at CTE
- High charges for ILP products
- Life annuity with capital protection
- Difficult to time the market
- Improve public transport in Singapore
- Did you buy a high cost ILP?
- Joke: A lawyer sleep in the barn
- Low return for 10 years
- 4 months to settle a claim
- Become sales oriented and may tell lies
- How to get a good deal on life insurance
- Minimum wage in USA
- Financial Planning Tips
- Get ready for the hard times
- Unjustified increase in premium for motor insuranc...
- Invest in Foreign Currencies
- Complain about a poor deal
- Policyholder given a misleading figure
- Unethical conduct of insurance agent
- More uncertainty with private Shield
- Low cost insurance and investment funds
- Business ethics
- Identity card - lost & found
- Car insurance - where to get lower premium
- Non-disclosure and medical insurance
- Poor cash value
- Many policyholders give up their whole life polici...
- Bus services - express and feeder services
- Ownership of a life policy
- Unforgettable sight in Beijing
- Cost of Private Shield
- How banks lose the trust of their customers
- ▼ 07/20 - 07/27 (34)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)