An insurance agent in Indonesia sold a large investment-linked policy to a senior government official. The annual premium was SGD 15,000 a year. The policyholder was angry when he learned that 15% of the premium was deducted as first year charge. He was not told about this deduction by the agent. He lodged a complaint with the insurance company.
The insurance company was worried that this official could give a lot of problem. They asked the agent to accept a lower commission of, so that only 5% was deducted, allowing 95% of the premium to be credited to the policyholder's investment. The agent agreed. Although this deduction was probably mentioned in the benefit illustration, the policyholder was able to get this special treatment because of his high position.
Actually the deduction of 15% was quite reasonable. In Singapore, 80% of the first year's premium is deducted, leaving only 20% to be invested. Most policyholders were probably not aware about this high deduction. When they found out, they are probably to ashamed or reluctant to lodge a complaint.
- ► 2013 (304)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
07/20 - 07/27
- Joke: Count the legs
- How to improve the traffic flow at CTE
- High charges for ILP products
- Life annuity with capital protection
- Difficult to time the market
- Improve public transport in Singapore
- Did you buy a high cost ILP?
- Joke: A lawyer sleep in the barn
- Low return for 10 years
- 4 months to settle a claim
- Become sales oriented and may tell lies
- How to get a good deal on life insurance
- Minimum wage in USA
- Financial Planning Tips
- Get ready for the hard times
- Unjustified increase in premium for motor insuranc...
- Invest in Foreign Currencies
- Complain about a poor deal
- Policyholder given a misleading figure
- Unethical conduct of insurance agent
- More uncertainty with private Shield
- Low cost insurance and investment funds
- Business ethics
- Identity card - lost & found
- Car insurance - where to get lower premium
- Non-disclosure and medical insurance
- Poor cash value
- Many policyholders give up their whole life polici...
- Bus services - express and feeder services
- Ownership of a life policy
- Unforgettable sight in Beijing
- Cost of Private Shield
- How banks lose the trust of their customers
- ▼ 07/20 - 07/27 (34)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)