Dear Mr. Tan,
Please post this story. Thanks.
DAVID MARSHALL SAID IN 1994
I've got nothing against money. I'd like to have money myself! I'd like to have a house and a garden and dogs and a car and a chauffeur but, look, I've got a flat. I've got a swimming pool attached to the flat. I've not even got a car but I use taxis. I have a dignified way of life without being wealthy.
I don't see the necessity of owning a Mercedes-Benz and a swimming pool and a couple of mistresses. I think we've got our values all wrong.
You know $96,000 a month for a Prime Minister and $60,000 a month for a minister. What the hell do you do with all that money? You can't eat it! What do you do with it? Your children don't need all that money.
My children have had the best of education. In fact, I'm very proud of them. One of them is a senior registrar to two major hospitals in Oxford. Another of them is a consultant in European law to the Securities and Investment Board in the United Kingdom. They've had their education. There are no complaints.
I never earned $60,000 a month or $90,000 a month. When I was Chief Minister, I earned $8,000 a month. Look, what is happening today is we are encouraged to and are becoming worshippers of the Golden Calf.
We have lost sight of the joy and excitement of public service, helping our fellow men. The joy and excitement of seeking and understanding of the joy of the miracle of the living the duty and the grandeur. We have lost taste for heroic action in the service of our people.
We have become good bourgeois seeking comfort, security. It's like seeking a crystal coffin and being fed by intravenous injections through pipes in the crystal coffin; crystal coffins stuck with certificates of your pragmatic abilities.
- ► 2013 (300)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
11/30 - 12/07
- HK: Minibond investors to sue HSBC
- SCMP:Class- action lawsuit over minibonds to start...
- MAS seeks advice from senior counsel
- Auction Rate Securities
- China stimulates its economy
- Class action - update as at 4 Dec 2008
- SCMP:Illiterate minibond investor files writ
- Persist in our efforts
- Hong Kong: Can the SFC avoid a knee-jerk response?...
- SCMP:Lehman investors turn to US government
- Financial Advice for a Fee
- Minibond investor keen to take class action
- Speaker's Corner 6 December, 5 - 7 pm
- Mr. Brown show on TC investments
- Washing dirty linen in public
- Why we need to educate the people
- David Marshall in 1994
- Suffering from depression and mental illness
- Investors compensated in Belgium?
- Seek help from embassies
- Consumer speak against Opt Out Sales Tactics
- Thoughts for the Day - Ho Cheow Seng
- Appeal to the President of Singapore
- Legal action against the Issuers and Distributors
- Clash of events at Speakers Corner on 29 November
- Speech at Speaker's Corner on 29 Nov - video
- Speech at Speaker's Corner, 29 Nov 2008
- ▼ 11/30 - 12/07 (27)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)