Friday, July 31, 2009

Permits required to appeal to the public for funds


For fund-raising appeal through door-to-door collection or soliciting in public places, the House to House and Street Collection Permit must be obtained from the Police. A licence is not needed if it is a private collection that is confined to friends or relatives, appeals made through the telephone or the media such as the Internet and newspapers, appeal letters by post or approaching individual donors.

1 comment:

Tan Kin Lian said...

According to this explanation, a police permit is not required for online donation.

However, the donation box at Hong Lim park on 22 August can be considered as raising funds in public and may require a police permit.

However, my common sense tells me that:

a) We are not raising funds, but collecting money to defray expenses.

b) We are not soliciting the public, but putting a box for people to make donations, i.e. not soliciting.

Can any lawyer help to interpret the law?

Blog Archive