WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Thursday ramped up her criticism of insurance companies, accusing them of unethical behavior and working to kill a plan to create a new government-run health plan.
"It's almost immoral what they are doing," Pelosi said to reporters, referring to insurance companies. "Of course they've been immoral all along in how they have treated the people that they insure," she said, adding, "They are the villains. They have been part of the problem in a major way. They are doing everything in their power to stop a public option from happening."
(Reporting by Richard Cowan, Editing by Sandra Maler)
- ► 2019 (1702)
- ► 2018 (1406)
- ► 2017 (1258)
- ► 2016 (828)
- ► 2015 (691)
- ► 2014 (144)
- ► 2013 (501)
- ► 2012 (1269)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
07/26 - 08/02
- Re-build the trust in the integrity and reputation...
- Major US financial regulation initiatives
- TKL Sudoku - Challenging Puzzles
- SCMP:Mainland investors claim HK$500m loss on 'mis...
- The Asian Banker:SFC, HKMA and 16 banks reach agre...
- Travel Picks: Top 10 cities to visit with children...
- FISCA Website
- NYT: In search of competent (and honest) advisers
- Great Eastern Life shows the way
- Great Eastern Announces One-time Redemption Offer ...
- SCMP:Investors set for legal fight over lost milli...
- Features of life insurance policies
- Coops in focus in US healthcare debate
- Aging, inequity and poverty
- Expensive car park in Singapore
- Health care realities
- The Health Debate: At a Fever Pitch
- Permits required to appeal to the public for funds...
- Petition to PM on credit linked note (6)
- Pelosi lashes out against insurance companies
- Promote the use of car sharing
- No parking space in HDB estates
- Online Donation towards Gathering on 22 August
- Waiting for the stockmarket to bottom
- BBC; Car insurance premiums rising
- Are you sure democracy cannot help you financially...
- 50% compensation for Minibond
- Company Y not wanting to pay out my insurance clai...
- Gathering on 22 August at Hong Lim Park (2)
- Books and puzzles
- The Standard:Bank wiped out my $260m
- NJ sues Merrill Lynch over $300 mln stock purchase...
- Work near your home
- For the benefit and welfare of the people
- Honesty in Politics
- What is the future for this country?
- Free market - success and failure
- Reuters: Investors dump brokers to go it alone onl...
- NY Times: Of banks and bonuses
- Lehman victims international/ planning for Sep. 15...
- Why markets can't cure health care
- The Standard:61pc of minibond investors undecided ...
- TODAY:We should follow HK's example ; Protect indi...
- Honesty and fairness
- SCMP:Monetary Authority director clarifies minibon...
- Advice on individual shares
- Pensioner Health Benefits
- Interest rate on 25 July 2009
- Winners of Intelligence Quiz and Name The Shape co...
- ▼ 07/26 - 08/02 (49)
- ► 2008 (2104)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)