Hi Mr Tan,
I have read the draft 5a of your Financial Planning book. It is a great read and contains many practical financial tips.
Would it be better for young people to clear off their debts (e.g. study loans, wedding loans, renovation loans, car loans) before embarking on an investment plan?
Most young people are short-sighted and do not see the benefit of saving 6-12 months of their salary. Recently, I have attended a course which covered personal finance. The trainer said that it is beneficial to have savings to fall back on as you can treat it as a interest free loan instead of borrowing from the banks.
Considering how much the banks are charging for the loans, I realised that having money at hand to handle personal emergencies is very important indeed.
Would you agree that for a HDB housing loan, it would be better to borrow to the max(30 years) as Mr Larry Haverkamp has suggested in his articles. What are your opinions for a bank housing loan as a comparison? Do you agree that housing loan is probably the only loan that we should not draw down on even if we have the means to do so?
I agree that it is better to pay off the loan, if they carry a higher interest rate than the yield on low risk investment (say 3%). As HDB loan is 2.6%, it is better to take the max loan from HDB and invest to earn more than 2.6%. I agree that a housing loan is probably the only loan that you should have in your lifetime.
- ► 2013 (302)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
10/25 - 11/01
- Benefit illustration - samples
- Investing in a Life Annuity
- Lawmakers attack bank overdraft fees
- Rechargeable torchlight as gift
- Underlying problems of capitalism
- Big investors grow wary of hedge funds
- A great statesman
- Market Economy with Church
- Reserved parking in HDB estates
- Dependent grown children
- Obamu - to persevere with optimism
- Not allowed to withdraw the investment
- The global recovery is unsustainable
- Purchase from my office
- Fair value for investors
- Quiz Books
- Hub and spoke system for public transport
- Unreliable display of bus arrival times
- Do parents have to finance their children?
- Benefit illustration for a Cash Back Policy
- Cash back insurance policy
- Insurance for poly and university students
- Guess the owner of this resume
- When cancer disappears
- Break-even point for old NTUC policies
- Advice on stock selection and timing
- Breakeven point
- Why do bankers make so much money?
- Bend reality and become dishonest
- Inadequate parking spaces for visitors in HDB esta...
- Enjoy $1 discount on my books
- Amazing Numbers
- Financial reform - what needs to be done
- Make our roads smart?
- Build up 6 to 12 months of savings
- The 10 paradox of Warren Buffett
- A heavy burden to pay insurance premiums
- Belgian prosecutor wants Citibank to repay 'duped'...
- Effect of Deduction
- Personal attack
- Electronic display on MRT trains
- Ask the insurer to provide an explanation
- ▼ 10/25 - 11/01 (42)
- ► 2008 (2105)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)